My main point is losing players she didn't recruit is less
by Domerduck (2024-04-29 15:29:31)

In reply to: Thank you for this post!  posted by irish_dan

on her since she didn't choose them, especially the class of 2020 signed in November 2019. Olivia was signed in 2020 and started playing 2021 and putting Cass in the 2022 or 2023 class doesn't change the analysis.

The truth in my mind she kept the several players from the Muffet era until they graduated with ND degrees: Abby, Sam, Dara, and Nat. Getting them to stay after their degree is fools gold and Geno doesn't do it either. That's why I given them both credit for keeping Paige and Maddy given the quality of their play.

As for the tourney record I agree Geno has done better, but so far he did with recruits that competed against Muffets recruits. In 2019 when he got #1 recruit Paige and #3 Edwards he was the second in teamr recruitng ranking and ND was 3rd overall with their best Maddy at #15. The one year Bueckers didn't play Geno and Niel ended in the sweet 16, and that was when we wer without Olivia like this past year.

I know people were miffed Nile didn't do more to keep Muffet';s players but let's give her the credit that she is building this team in her won image. Muffet (with Niele's help) built an incredible ND run that ended the 2019 season after that loss in that championship game when 5 ND players were chosen in the 1st two rounds of the WNBA and all still thrive there. After that we required a complete rebuild and the 2020 and 2021 seasons certainly should have told you that. 2022 we got better. 2023 we won the ACC regular season championship but when our AA Miles got hurt we couldn't get past Maryland. In 2023 we won the ACC tournament championship. As for the NCAAs, I woudl contend the only reason that UConn team got to the final was the tourney draw. They wouldn't have beaten OSU and we woudl had no problem with both Duke (or even tOSU) and USC who they got to play. You can differ with that view but I said it even before the tourney started once the bracket was out.

Let's see what happens in 2024/25 before we make that final prognosis on the better current approach of thrash vs numbers. We'd all like more but so far I commend her for the loyalty she has preserved for the players she personally recuited. KK and Maddy staying are very positive signs, but next season does matter.