Updated ProspectsNation 2018 Rankings
by Orangutan (2017-05-18 15:27:58)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to McGraw's Bench ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

ProspectsNation has updated their 2018 rankings and expanded them 100 players to 150 players.

ND commits:

Brown = #12
Gilbert = #14
Prohaska = #74
Cosgrove = #92

Thanks for sharing.
by drmurray  (2017-05-19 07:09:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Interesting that ND has a bias toward recruiting players from the national team that may not be ranked the highest by the recruiting services. I'd like to think the people selecting the national teams know a little more than the internet website? Thoughts?

Other than the usual but understandable shortcomings in these type of rankings which have been discussed before, why do you think Cosgrove is ranked so low? Weak competition?

Great questions I wonder about also.
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-05-19 09:47:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If we have a bias toward national team players, it may be, as Muffet has said, she likes the experience (re maturity) from these players. For the most part the recruiting services are in line with the national team selections. I believe the coaches for the national teams must rely on them somewhat. I'm not sure the national team selectors see the girls as much as the services. Now, as far as Abby is concerned, she appears as someone who will guard, score, rebound, get water bottles for the team, and drive the bus. Her lack of star power, but obvious intangibles, are tough to judge by the recruiting services, but, apparently, visible to the national coaches and Coach McGraw. It's tough to say how she will do, but I really look forward to watching her and finding out.

Despite this crazy year for the rating services, I still believe they are remarkably accurate in predicting how a player will fare in college. Yet, as has been discussed, there are flaws. This year has been an extraordinary exception. This year's graduating class defies the recruiting services. Here are some WNBA first round draft choices:
Kelsey Plum, who had been rated 26th on HoopGurlz
Alaina Coates, 28
Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, 43
Britney Sykes, 31
Brionna Jones, 65
Sydney Wiese, 80

I'm still a big believer in the services' predictive powers, but this year must give everyone pause.

Per Ms Cosgrove, I don't think it's weak competition, at least not when playing for the Philly Belles. Sachem East HS also plays against decent competition, but, as Dillon pointed out, they did not do especially well this year.

By the way, I am ecstatic about next year's recruited class, even as it stands now. Jenna Brown and Katlyn Gilbert appear to be truly great basketball players, great teammates and great people. Abby Probaska and Danielle Cosgrove are intriguing and, truthfully, are rated very well by some of the services.

Dara Mabrey is #48
by RISteve  (2017-05-18 19:07:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She has made a nice climb in the rankings. I have to believe she is still on Nielle's radar

Anyone have any thoughts on Brittany Garner?
by NDoggie78  (2017-05-18 17:24:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

#45, Undecided, 6'-4", looks solid, Camden Catholic, plays for Philly Freedom Stars

Prefer Nelson-Ododa (looks like Brianna Turner II), but we need bigs

Here is how our prospects fared with Prospects
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-05-18 16:51:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jenna Brown went from 10 to 12
Katlyn Gilbert went from 12 to 14
Abby Prohaska went from 60 to 74
Danielle Cosgrove went from 93 to 92

"Hopefuls"
Christyn Williams went from 2 to 3
Olivia Nelson-Ododa went from 3 to 6

And Naz Hillman is at 119
by dillon77  (2017-05-19 09:00:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Remember her, the 6'1"power forward who made first-team Ohio for USA Today?

Still keeping her in the post/forward pool because, hey, you never know what happens :-)

Don't forget Olivia Owens on the list at #49. Have you
by MPG  (2017-05-19 15:44:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

heard anything more about Jessica Shepard? Her decision to leave UNL was reported on March 27. Since then there have been reported sightings at ND and South Carolina and nothing else. Since Breanna Wise committed to IU today, I believe that Shepard and Erin Boley are the two best available transfers and both seem to have entered a Cone of Silence.

Not really much on either Shepard or Boley...
by dillon77  (2017-05-19 17:15:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...save for some conjecture here or there.

Orangutan came across a twitter post of Shepard wearing an ND shirt that Brianna had gotten her. The post was a year old, but was retweeted. Outside of that, absolute zip on Ms. Shepard.

If Bri has to take 17-18 off and Ms. Shepard comes to ND, that would be a potent post combination combining agility and hops, along with strength. Interesting, Bri likes to shoot more inside and on the run, while Shepard has post moves and a good mid-range J.

However, if that does happen, can see the push for 2018 posts/centers emphasized with Nelson-Ododa, the obvious top target. However, could see Owens and Hillman still in the mix. Both are really active around the boards and that is never a bad thing to have. MM could look for scoring help again in 2019.

As for Erin, there was a post in the Boneyard that had her interested in Vanderbilt (which has been reported) and -- drum roll, please -- both Oregon schools. If that's true, the homesickness portion of the equation takes a hit.

If she goes to OSU, she would be eligible at the same time as Destiny Slocum and incoming frosh Andrea Aquino.

And if she goes to Oregon, she'd join Sabrina Ionescu, Ruthie Hebard and the high-flyin' Ducks.

Of course, the allure of playing two hours from home with Steph White at Vandy is tough to turn away from....

Erin would be an interesting fit to both Oregon teams. I'd
by Domerduck  (2017-05-21 12:39:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

still rather have her at ND but it would be fun to watch her out west. Both teams will be loaded on two years. All three are good coaches, but I still don't why she would trade Muffet for them. There must be something to why she is leaving but noone seems to know.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.