Lindsay Allen Brought Back by NY Liberty...
by dillon77 (2017-05-30 12:18:41)

...and will be activated Wednesday.

As you may recall, Lindsay was the last cut of the Liberty. Since that time, the Liberty lost starter Brittany Boyd for the season after she injured her left Achilles tendon. Now, buard Epiphanny Prince heads for Russia to play in the EuroBasket tournament for the next few weeks. That leaves Bria Hartley as the only true point guard left. Hence, Lindsay gets another chance to get some time.

Follow-up AP Article on Her Re-signing....
by dillon77  (2017-05-31 08:05:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that appeared on ESPNw quotes Lindsay and Bill Laimbeer, her Liberty coach.

When she got cut initially, Lindsay got to come back to ND and enjoy senior week and graduation before heading back to Maryland.
Then the call from Liberty came. Laimbeer was pleasantly surprised she was still available. This is what he had to say about her:
Laimbeer said that Allen was the final cut and a difficult one to make.

"I liked her a lot and told her that she has to be more aggressive offensively," he said. "I think she'll thrive in this kind of environment."

Interesting to see her first game in uniform will be against Skylar and the Dallas Wings. Go Lindsay!

Liberty on ESPN2 at 7 eastern *
by ram  (2017-05-30 18:38:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What does LA lack for the WNBA?
by PWK2  (2017-05-30 16:20:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought she was tremendous at ND, so smart and always in control. She handles the ball well and is a great floor general. She gives steady effort on defense.

Her shooting can be streaky. She's doesn't take three pointers. And I suppose she could be posted up, because she is slight.

Is there something else I'm missing? I was watching Lindsay Whalen play recently and wished the Lynx had Allen.

Shooting
by Orangutan  (2017-05-31 13:19:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In my opinion, WNBA point guards have to be a 3-point threat and I don't think LA really is one. It would be too easy for WNBA defenses to cheat off of her.

Also, yes, she is slight. But I don't think that would make or break her.

Is she relatively small for the WNBA? I honestly don't know. *
by 2Domer  (2017-05-30 17:35:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes.
by Kayo  (2017-05-30 19:49:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

5'8" isn't tall for a WNBA guard. There are quite a few in the 5'10' to 6'0" range; but there are plenty of 5'8" and 5'9" guards too. Allen's issue is that she is so slight. I can't believe she weighs much more that 125 pounds, maybe 130.

For contrast, Kayla McBride is 5'11", 174 pounds according to basketball-reference.com. As chiseled as she is, 5'9" Skylar Diggins-Smith is only 145 pounds; and Jewell Loyd lists at 5'10" and 148 pounds. Diggins and Loyd are a bit on the light side for that league, but both are extraordinarily talented... top five recruits who lived up to expectations and then some. Even at that, they're giving 25 pounds when trying to defend some of the other top guards in the league. Maya Moore is listed at 175 pounds, for example. Diana Taurasi weighs 172 pounds, Seimone Augustus weighs 179 pounds, and even runty little Shoni Schimmel is listed at 161 pounds.

Despite her frame, Lindsay Allen is a tough young woman. She will need to get stronger, but I believe she can have a nice pro career. It might take a couple of years.

Congrats Lindsay! This is great! *
by goirish01  (2017-05-30 12:24:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great! Good Luck! Go Irish! *
by laboog  (2017-05-30 12:21:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post