Thx, as Usual, for the Research and Story...
by dillon77 (2018-04-19 13:44:04)
Edited on 2018-04-20 12:22:46

In reply to: Making 6 of the last 8 Final Fours is a major accomplishment  posted by FightingIrishRadio

..I learned quite a bit.

-- ND is 3 and 3 against UConn in recent Final Fours, with all three wins in the semi's. That will lead to bracket watching in the future!

-- Mulkey's Baylor teamss with Griner and Sims only got to the final 4 once?
Wow...given the singular nature of Griner and Sim's ability, would've expect more.

Wallace's injury hurt them against OSU when it called for upperclassman leadership and none of the younger guards could give it.

Still, Kim's got to feel the pressure to maximize her twin towers while she has them. A'quira DaCosta will help them athletically, but let's see if any of young guards can guide the ship. Maybe Kim will toughen up the out-of-conference schedule this year.

-- As good as Karen Alston has been recruiting at Texas, I still expect Mulkey to be the primary rep of that conference to the Final Four (if at all).

-- Dawn maximized South Carolina's run, but was helped beyond belief by A'ja Wilson. No A'ja, no title. Will have to see if any one of the good forwards she has left steps up.

3-3 the last 8 years. It's 4-3 overall
by cbiebel  (2018-04-19 19:56:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was only talking about recently. ND also beat UConn in the Semis in 2001.

Baylor made Final Four in Griner's freshman season
by FightingIrishRadio  (2018-04-19 13:53:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I started my write up with the 2011 Final Four since that's when ND returned after a ten year absence. So, it missed the 2010 Final Four when Baylor made it with Brittany Griner as a freshman. Odyssey Sims joined the team a year later -- but Baylor only made the one trip to the finals when Griner was a junior and Sims a sophomore. They were upset by Louisville the following year.

Thx for Clarification....
by dillon77  (2018-04-19 15:42:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember the infamous "mug until they charge you" game plan that Jeff Walz put together.

It was pretty amazing because Griner/Sims looked awfully strong together.

Still worth noting how Baylor, despite massive talent input, comes up a day late and dollar short in the tourney in recent years. And I believe next year is the last for the twin-tower approach.

Stay tuned..

Which school squandered more talent, Baylor or Duke?
by SixShutouts66  (2018-04-19 14:47:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had also noticed that your starting point excluded one Baylor FF. Saw Louisville (Elite 8) and TAMU (Sweet 16) beat Baylor. It seems both these schools could have come floe to our performance.

Duke. At least Baylor got one NC out of it *
by cbiebel  (2018-04-19 19:58:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post