Fudd, Bueckers and Sam playing in DC this weekend
by RISteve (2018-04-27 08:45:54)

Per ND Hoops Recruits:

WBB: A Capital Classic all-star game for high school girl is premiering this weekend in DC. US Futures team includes Azzi Fudd & Paige Bueckers. They'll face a team headlined by Irish commit Samantha Brunelle.

Live stream
by dc_cyclocross  (2018-04-28 20:23:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

https://dmvstream.com/2018/04/27/live-broadcast-2018-capital-capital-classic-girls-game-dmvstream-com/

4th Quarter starting at 8:22pm Eastern

The Washington post lies
by McLean_ND  (2018-04-28 18:20:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sam is not playing in the capital classic. Guess I get to watch Azzi and Paige

Are You There? Look Forward To Your Impressions...
by dillon77  (2018-04-28 19:17:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...of Ms. Fudd and Ms. Bueckers.

A few observations from the game
by McLean_ND  (2018-04-28 22:28:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Both Paige and Azzi are listed in the game program as 5’11” but Paige’s weight is listed at 140 and Azzi’s at 160. Paige seems thin as a rail and much more of a finesse player than a physical player.

It was clear that Paige and Azzi are good friends. A lot of friendly banter back and forth before the game and at other times. Paige was very outgoing – signed a few autographs before the game and stayed after to play some with a few of the very young girls that were there. She was frequently smiling and joking around.

Neither player came across as a selfish player trying to fill up the stat sheet. I don’t know what the box score statistics were but another player – Angel Reese – was the MVP for the team that Paige and Azzi were on (Angel had 22 points and 19 rebounds according to the comments when the award was handed out). Paige clearly looks to pass first and made a number of “fancy” passes – behind her back while driving for a layup, then faking the behind the back pass and scooping up a layup, etc. She’s clearly a great ball handler. Not sure whether a college coach would be all in on those passes, but this was a friendly game with no real pressure. The Paige/Azzi team won 115-80.

Both are good shooters, Azzi has a very nice mid-range jumper, although she can score driving to the basket and from beyond the 3-point line.

As an aside, one thing I never like about basketball games in small gyms (the game was in a high school gym) is the decibel level for the buzzer when there are timeouts etc. If my hearing starts to go at some point, I’m going to blame it partly on those buzzers. I don’t really understand why they have to be as loud as they are.

Edited to add a link with a story about the game

Remarkable game (watching replay, not listening to buzzer)
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-04-29 12:16:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The future stars lived up to their billing with incredible play all the way around. Here is the box score for the Future Stars:

Capital Classsic - Future Stars
PlayerFG-FGA3ptFG-3ptFGAFT-FTAReboundsPFAssistsTOBlocksStealsTotal PtsMinutes
Paige Bueckers4-81-32-26243021135
Chloe Chapman3-60-11-2309204737
Jakia Brown-Turner10-181-63-47230112438
Angel Reese9-180-04-619230112231
Azzi Fudd9-182-62-21111122240
Elle Mitchell3-60-10-0532201625
Malu Tshitenge-Mutombo8-110-04-613301202019
Chetanna Nweke1-60-21-1441100325

Paige was just firing showboat passes all over. She was just unlucky not to have more assists.
If Sam Brunelle had not had a previous engagement, we could have expected a picture like this:

I believe that Sam, Paige, and Azzi will play together
by MPG  (2018-04-28 09:35:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in this game as part of the "futures" team that will play the team of DC area seniors. I saw this on a tweeted poster for the game. Let's hope that our talented and personable trio enjoys another chance to play together against an older squad. The game will be played at Azzi's school, St. John's College Prep, which sent Lindsay Allen to ND, as well as Collis Jones, teammate of Austin Carr at ND.

This Is First-Ever Such Women's Game....
by dillon77  (2018-04-27 14:36:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...for the Capitol Classic, according to this article in the Washington Post.

And Bueckers, continuing her unabated travels across America, is staying with Fudd for the event.(also in article).

Will they have a Red Robin Reunion? *
by MPG  (2018-04-27 13:36:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most likely. Brunelle is No. 1 on the court and off it. *
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-04-27 14:49:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Speaking of Bueckers....
by dillon77  (2018-04-27 08:59:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...here's an excerpt (and linked article) on Minnesota High School coaches talking about the hiring of Lindsey Whalen at University of Minnesota.

The coach of Hopkins High School,Brian Cosgriff, is one of the coaches interviewed. Here's a quote of his comparing how often former UMinn Coach Marlene Stollings came to see his star guard, one Paige Bueckers:

"Cosgriff, whose sophomore guard Paige Bueckers, is a top national recruit in the Class of 2020, said, “The Gophers didn’t recruit a lot of Minnesota kids in coach Stollings’ time as head coach. She came to watch Paige once. UConn came to see her three times and Muffet McGraw from Notre Dame was in our gym twice. I feel it’s important to have the best Minnesota kids in the Gopher program. That is one way you generate interest.”

So, apparently MM has been up to the the land of lakes twice to see Paige Bueckers, combined with Bucker's trips to South Bend.

This will continue to keep Baba and other NND Bueckers' fans very happy. That said, Whelan was/is Buecker's favorite player growing up.

If Paige continues to travel the country to events where her "sister" (her words, not mine) Sam Brunelle is, that's always a positive for the Irish.

Do you think when they say: "UConn came to see her three...
by Jon  (2018-04-27 13:16:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...times and Muffet McGraw from Notre Dame was in our gym twice."

That that means Geno himself maybe didn't take the time to visit personally, but MM did?

Most Programs Place a Lot of Responsibility for Recruiting
by dillon77  (2018-04-27 14:09:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..with assistant coaches. In fact, one (or more) is usually assigned to a prospect (seems like Beth was with Sam Brunelle).

So maybe whomever is in contact with Paige B. decided to drop by.
Or maybe the assistant coach came out the first time to do some reconnaissance.

Don't see it as a slight by any means. Besides, I very much seem to recall from posts on the Boneyard that Geno's been out to her hometown and has seen numerous of her AAU games. He's interested, as is Muffet.
Whelan has some catching up to do.

Geno has been to see Bueckers multiple times in person
by Charlibball  (2018-04-27 21:30:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She is a high priority recruit for UConn just as she seems to be for ND........her playing style is a perfect fit for the Huskies motion offense

Yup. He and His Staff Have Had Many Chances....
by dillon77  (2018-04-27 23:20:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...to see Paige B: they just might've taken place outside of the gym that her HS coach was referring to.

She would fit in with UConn's motion offense. Of course, the modified Princeton offense that Notre Dame runs is also based on motion and ball movement, plus puts an emphasis on the transition: all things that Paige excels in.

It's no surprise that ND and UConn are both pursuing her services. Have no doubt Lindsay Whalen will join the fray, as well.

That's the Job I thought Niele Might Have Considered
by Charlibball  (2018-04-28 08:16:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Minnesota might have been a good first stop before taking over at ND.........big enough to lure some talent but not a high pressure situation where expectations would be unrealistic......