A Few Answers/Thoughts on Hines-Allen
by dillon77 (2018-05-01 10:13:00)

In reply to: Thank you. Were you surprised  posted by Homeboy73

- Montclair is not a consistent powerhouse in hoops. Like most public schools, they kind of rise and fall depending on the talent of the time.
They had a very good point guard around the turn of the century -- Bianca Brown, who went to Wake Forest and later coached at MHS for awhile.

- Like many Louisville recruits, Myisha was roped in early by Coach W. Can't remember another school being mentioned....at least publicly.

- I was not surprised by how well she did. Went to see her play many times, particularly against the great Shabazz teams of the time, and she was right there with numerous other kids who went D1 (Zaire O'Neill to Georgia Tech). She can play. Think she needs a strong coach to keep her in line and have her see the light. And keep her from getting down on herself...she was better at this her last year.

- Good kid. Always supported friends in other sports. As such, my daughter went to see her when she played at ND. Go Mounties!

New Jersey & New York
by Homeboy73  (2018-05-01 13:39:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I enjoy your (Dillon’s) reports on New Jersey (and New York) women’s high school basketball. It’s great to see Notre Dame getting some New Jersey and New York players (the Mabreys, the Danielles, Jordan Nixon). Historically, Notre Dame has not had many women from New Jersey and New York. I remember a few early on. Laura Dougherty in the mid 1980s (from my home town Hillsdale - she had a great career), Lynn Ebben from Mendham, and Lisa Brown from Palmyra, then around 1987 Cathy Emigholz from Staten Island and Mary Gavin from Wildwood, and Karen Robinson (now Keyes, of the Notre Dame Women’s coaching title) from Turnersville. Around 1991 Audrey Gomez, from Keyport, who I think was New Jersey player of the year (I believe she transferred out, perhaps UCLA?). In the mid 1990s Katryna Gaither (fantastic player) from Mt. Vernon, and Diana Braendly from Staten Island. Then around 2004 Melissa D’Amico from Long Island (Manorsville area, I think). Some pretty big gaps in years between New Jersey/New York players. Let’s get some more. And yes, Go Mounties!

Looks Like Niele/MM Have Some Connections Into...
by dillon77  (2018-05-01 15:27:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..the metro area that have produced the recent influx of New York players, in particular (unless you want to count the Mabreys as their own program!).

I very much look forward to seeing how Jordan Nixon and Danielle Cosgrove do. Nixon's got some shake and bake to her, as you'd hope from an NYC player, but she's fundamentally sound and looks to distribute. I've seen Cosgrove in person all of once, but I really liked her back to the basket moves (right and left jump hooks) and she blossoms when she comes outside.
Might need some seasoning but she'll get it practicing with Shep and Mik Vaughn, who she knows via the Philly Belles.

I remember Ms. Galvin. Not so much Keyes...my wife and I were outnumbered by young kids during that age and there was no internet so if I didn't have time to go to local games, no go. Had no time!

Melissa D'Amico is from out east in the Manorville area. She's recruiting coordinator at Yale now, so she's in the game. ND's female lacrosse goalie is from there..she just made first team ACC: Sam Giacalone (sp).

Looks like the next metro area target is Natalija Marshall from Christ the King. Tall, skinny drink of water but I think MM and staff are thinking down the road with her. Kylee Watson seems to be lurking...sometimes in play, ?????. I think a lot with her depends on what happens this year with post recruiting.

New Jersey - Notre Dame
by Homeboy73  (2018-05-01 17:03:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Karen Robinson (Keyes) is head women’s BB coach at Ridgewood High. Laura Dougherty (Ely) may also have coached in Bergen County. Her daughters also played at Pascack Valley in Hillsdale.

Yes, Karen Is Coach at Ridgewood....
by dillon77  (2018-05-02 08:19:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..first time or two I saw Montclair vs. Ridgewood, I didn't put two and two together.

A lot of the players I've followed recently (Dara Mabrey, Michelle Sidor, Faith Masonius, etc.) have all declared. I'll still watch them, but need to scout for a new wave of possible recruits from the Garden State.

Should keep track of Christ the King and Ms. Marshall to see if they'll pay a visit.....