I feel for Jewell
by Orangutan (2018-05-02 13:31:45)

In reply to: MM might want to get out in front of these comments by JL  posted by jerseyshoreirish

I spent much of my time as an undergrad being depressed, too. I totally understand having mixed feelings about one's alma mater. (Note - I went to UChicago, not Notre Dame).

Going back to campus doesn't make me depressed but it took my best 5 years before she even felt comfortable visiting Chicago again.

I had a hard time just managing my mental health and all I had to do was my course work. I wasn't a student-athlete and certainly not one with a learning disability.

Dealing with what sounds like untreated mental illness while also competing on an elite level as a student-athlete for must have been very difficult. I wish she had gotten the help she needed. At the same time, it can be difficult to tell when someone is struggling with such issues, so I'm not blaming anyone at ND for not doing more. As Jewell said, she didn't realize she was going through anything at the time. It's hard to help someone who doesn't recognize there is a problem, but clearly there was one.

With the additional context, I don't blame her at all for wanting to leave early. How it all went down is regrettable but it seems like Jewell ultimately made the right decision for her health, which is what is most important.

Shifting gears, I don't think there is anything to get in front of. All Muffet has to do is point to the many proud alums who came to the Final Four.

Jewell had an unpleasant experience. Lindsay Allen had enough of a positive experience that she flew in from Russia to be there for the championship game. It happens. You would like to think that everyone who signs a letter of intent will have a magical four years but that's not the way the world works.

Replies: