Vote for the next honoree into the Ring of Honor
by BabaGhanouj (2018-05-03 07:48:40)
Edited on 2018-05-03 10:12:22

Hey Benchers:

Last season, Kayla McBride was added to the Ring of Honor. Who do you think should be the next person added from the women's program? We checked with the Fighting Irish Media Team and this is what they told us about the award:
• There are no set of standards to reach the Ring of Honor—candidates are gathered by their noteworthy careers, and the team's administration and coaching staff choose the honorees. (Graduation is not necessary.)
• Since the creation of the Ring of Honor, the focus has been on honoring those who can attend the event in person.
While Dillon and I collaborated on this post, it was his idea and impetus that got it done.

You may vote for up-to-two candidates, and may even write in a name, which I will check and add to the poll so others may vote for it also. You may change your vote(s). After some time we’ll report the results and perhaps make the Media Team aware of them. After you vote you will see the results to date. Most of all, have fun!

Good with Gaither
by Murcer68  (2018-05-03 17:08:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but then I think we should stop for awhile or it will end up like the New York Yankees and their huge amount of retired numbers. You end up diluting the honor when everyone gets it.

In the Ring, the numbers aren't retired
by traditionnevergraduates  (2018-05-04 07:00:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They just made the ROH

Same thing
by Murcer68  (2018-05-04 17:00:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you have tons of players in the RoH, then the importance of being in the ROH is diluted.

That's Why We Have a "No One At This Time" Choice
by dillon77  (2018-05-04 18:13:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..for those who might view things in a similar mode and/or don't think these candidates deserve being honored.

I think Ms. Gaither is an absolute deserving candidate. She and Beth took the team to levels it had never been and she had a long pro career after that.

You two are maintaining your rock star status with this
by RISteve  (2018-05-03 16:56:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Link, below:

Ha, ha, it's what happens when you team up with Dillon. *
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-05-03 17:04:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Katryna Gaither. The second choice is more difficult but
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2018-05-03 16:22:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll go with Alicia Ratay. Jewell probably would have been an easy choice if she had played her senior year, but the the fact that she left early and the way she left diminishes her legacy a bit. I'm not even sure if she would agree to attend a Ring of Honor ceremony, so it may be a nonstarter. So sad.

Katryna Gaither, should have gone in at the same time as
by Slotts  (2018-05-03 10:15:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Beth Morgan Cunningham.

EDIT: They may all be worthy, but the question was next and Gaither is overdue and I think was slighted by not going in with Beth.

Something to remember
by Kayo  (2018-05-03 14:25:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Many fans don't realize that availability is part of the equation when they look at the sequence of induction. I know there have been times when a men's player was approached about induction; but when ND and the person couldn't get together on a date for a certain season, the ceremony was delayed for a year or even two years. It's particularly difficult when the honoree is making a living in pro or college basketball.

I don't know what Ms Gaither is doing nowadays, but it's possible that her life got in the way of induction last season.

Systems Adm at New Haven Board of Education (link)
by TWO  (2018-05-03 14:44:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She did a pretty good World tour playing basketball
by NDoggie78  (2018-05-03 15:09:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Spain, Navarro 1998-1999
Italy, Vicenza 1999-2000
Turkey, Istanbul 2000-200
Korea, Seoul 2001
Hungary, Miscolc 2002-2003
France, Tarbes 2003-2006
Belgium, Namur 2006-2007
Russia, Novosibirsk 2007-2008
Italy, Livorno 2008-2009
Turkey, Samsun 2009-2010
Belgium, Namur 2010-2011
Priolo, Sicily 2011-2012

Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA)

Utah-2000
Indiana-2000
Los Angles Sparks -2002
Washington Mystics- 2002

I am a big Alicia fan. She gets my vote
by RISteve  (2018-05-03 09:57:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am probably in the minority, but that is ok. We never want a unanimous audience.
Alicia was an absolute sniper who was as clutch as clutch can be. One of my long time favorites.

This exercise is not easy! Thanks for stirring up the thought process

Agreed
by Cheg80  (2018-05-03 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A sniper, clutch and she was downright gorgeous as well (not a criteria, but my memory of her 18-22 year old self).

Ring of Honor
by ricf28  (2018-05-03 09:47:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I vote for Alicia Ratay, a National Championship matters, and Jewell Loyd, who was great for three years.

Does one not need be a graduate of ND to be so honored? *
by Irish72  (2018-05-03 09:44:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One Need Not To Have Graduated from ND ....
by dillon77  (2018-05-03 09:48:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...to be considered for the Ring of Honor, based on the answers we received from ND Sports Media Team (see Baba's explanation on main e-mail).

For instance, Troy Murphy is in the Ring of Honor. He left for the NBA after his junior year and later graduated from Columbia.

Thank you. *
by Irish72  (2018-05-03 11:12:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ring of Honor is too small for MM. McGraw Arena or bust. *
by 1NDGal  (2018-05-03 09:35:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Love it! Post (or Response) of the Year nomination. *
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-05-03 17:13:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like that! Which brings up a ?? Having never been to ND..
by Jon  (2018-05-03 09:49:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..who is Purcell named after? Whoever he or she is, they kin go!

The "Muffet McGraw Sports Palace".

A statue and name the arena court after her! *
by traditionnevergraduates  (2018-05-03 16:58:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Phil Purcell - major donor for the renovations of the arena *
by MPG  (2018-05-03 10:09:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ahhh, thanks *
by Jon  (2018-05-03 15:05:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I won't vote for her yet because it's too early,
by SorinBasement  (2018-05-03 09:23:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but Arike's a slam dunk.

Harangody got in during his senior year. *
by SB Jimbo  (2018-05-03 16:00:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Someone just added her name as a write-in,
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-05-03 10:18:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so I added her to to poll. Again, whoever wrote her in can change their vote from "Other" to "Arike". (By the way, whoever wrote her in, Kayo would be happier if you spelled her name correctly ☺️.

Easy
by traditionnevergraduates  (2018-05-03 08:22:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

MUFFET!

OK, the write-in works, but whoever wrote in Muffet's name
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-05-03 08:51:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

now should change their vote (allowable) from "Other" to "Muffet McGraw". It doesn't do that automatically.

Note to whomever wrote in Megan Duffy, she's included! *
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-05-03 13:33:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If Dara had committed—
by Homeboy73  (2018-05-03 07:57:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mr. and Mrs. Mabrey.

Write them in! *
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-05-03 07:58:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Katryna Gaither
by Homeboy73  (2018-05-03 07:51:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Should be next in. It’s time.

She would be my first and second choices. She and Beth were
by MPG  (2018-05-03 10:15:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the perfect scoring complement to each other during their careers. Katryna should now join Beth in the Ring of Honor.

Agree 100% *
by Drmurray  (2018-05-03 09:49:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In Total Agreement With you on KG
by dillon77  (2018-05-03 08:17:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...that trip to the First Final 4 does not happen without her.

Got to ponder the second choice.....