Nixon,Peoples, and Prohaska make U18 Team (link)
by brianant (2018-05-28 21:01:34)

Tourney Aug 1-7 - does this work with our planned Euro trip? *
by Goirish01  (2018-05-29 10:13:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here is a tweet from NDHoopsRecruits on the topic
by RISteve  (2018-05-30 20:53:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think they go with the U-18 team.

From NDHoopsRecruits:

WBB: Interesting conundrum. @ndwbb foreign tour is July 31 - Aug. 9. USA National U-18 tourney is Aug. 1 - 7. Which will it be for incoming frosh Abby Prohaska & Jordan Nixon? My guess is U-18. #GodCountryNotreDame.

That sounds reasonable.
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-05-31 08:35:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Abby and Jordan will trade a European trip for an Americas trip. In this case "country" is more prestigious than "Notre Dame". The two will have four years to create friendships at Notre Dame, so the short time to create friendships while playing for USA basketball will be precious.

Unfortunately this will most likely put a crimp in Coach McGraw's plan to get Jordan experience with running the Irish offense. Recall when Lindsay was a freshman and won the point guard position during the European trip.

No, it seems to overlap with the ND trip which reportedly
by MPG  (2018-05-30 15:59:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ends on August 9. I think I read that the USA practices begin on July 20. Abby and Jordan will likely opt for the USA experience, but will miss the extra ND practices that occur before the trip.

Great news!!
by RISteve  (2018-05-29 08:54:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thrilled that Abby made the team. Future is bright!

Recruiting Bonanza!!

Get in the fast lane grandma the bingo game is ready to roll
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-05-28 22:36:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just crazy!
Where is Aquira DeCosta, Shakira Austin, Destanni Henderson (corrected by F_A), Emily Engstler, Elizabeth Balogun (corrected by F_A), Zarielle Green, Honesty Scott-Grayson? (Ah, I see F_A had the same thoughts.)

[Added: A poster on the Boneyard reported that Aquira DeCosta missed some time with HS graduation, which may have hurt her chances.]

Maybe we have to revise our evaluation of what's-his-name. He certainly has a great eye for talented, competitive, team-first basketball players.

Too bad for Katlyn Gilbert. We almost could have fielded an all ND USA team. This may be a better class than everyone else has been evaluating. They should have invited Danielle Cosgrove.

For whatever reason, Destanni Henderson and Elizabeth
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2018-05-28 22:40:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Balogun were not at the trials. This link shows the initial 35 participants at the trials.

I thought I did due diligence—obviously not, Thanks.
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-05-28 22:49:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I did leave out Charli Collier (4 months too old). Poor consolation for the two mistakes.

That's fantastic! Surprising that a lot of very highly
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2018-05-28 22:22:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

rated recruits did NOT make the team, including:

Shakira Austin (Maryland)
Breanna Beal
Aquira DeCosta (Baylor)
Kaitlyn Gilbert (ND)
Zarielle Green (Tennessee)
Jazmine Massengill (Tennessee)
Sammie Puisis (FSU)
Honesty Scott-Grayson (Baylor)

Peoples was one of only 2 players from the 2019 class, as the other 10 were 2018.

Wow! I am impressed and happy for them. It should help them
by MPG  (2018-05-28 21:19:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to prepare for ND. I did not expect three ND recruits to be selected to this team of twelve. Maybe they have been underrated by some recruiting services. Interesting that Jenna Brown is also on the team...

Abby's Second National Team....
by dillon77  (2018-05-29 07:24:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...as she was selected in 2016, as well. Word on the street back then was Abby was chosen as the ultimate team player, one who would play D, dive on the floor and have her teammate's back. Obviously, she has top-rate individual skills but brings the intangibles that matter. Looks like the committee agreed.

Included the story and roster/bios in the link. According to chair Jen Rizzotti,
“We put together a very versatile, strong and mature team,” Rizzotti added. “There was a lot of depth at every position for this team and lot of players that can play multiple positions. We know the way that Jeff (Walz) wants to play, and so we tried to give him a lot of versatility.”

Congrats to Jordan Nixon and Anaya Peoples, as well. Anaya seems to fit the description of versatility that Rizzotti mentioned. As for PG, looks like Jordan Nixon and Jenna Brown will be joined by a letter of intent for their respective careers!

As MPG pointed out, some other players that ND once at a time looked at made the team as well, such as Brown, but also Naz Hillmon, the center from Ohio who is attending Michigan.

Go Irish!!! *
by Mike  (2018-05-28 21:06:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nixon U18 trials video shows why she was chosen. (link)
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-05-29 11:00:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By the way, if anyone could give me some advice on how to embed twitter videos on McGraw's Bench, I would be indebted.

During that U17-u18 Scrimmge, Pretty Sure Jordan...
by dillon77  (2018-05-29 11:23:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...Nixon just blew by u17's wonderkind Hailey Van Lith into and through a lot of tall traffic in the paint for that layup. She's deft.

WBB on Twitter - recruits - has congratulated Jordan and
by sixtythreer  (2018-05-30 18:34:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Abby on making the 2018 USA Women's U18 National Team Roster. Did the site just forget
Anaya?

Not sure If They Can Make an Institutional Comment....
by dillon77  (2018-05-30 18:50:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...on a (still) junior who has not signed a letter of intent, which Abby and Jordan most certainly have.

If I'm off, please stand to correct me....

(I'm sure she knows the staff is thumbs up for her....)

Now I feel better. I was afraid Anaya's feeling might be
by sixtythreer  (2018-05-30 23:28:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

hurt.

You are correct! *
by MPG  (2018-05-30 19:23:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Silly for me to say you are absolutely right, but you are.
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-05-30 19:22:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Without that John Hancock, Notre Dame can say nothing.