I'll bet Coach McGraw would revise a lot of it today.
by Kayo (2018-08-08 20:36:33)

In reply to: Intriguing  posted by BabaGhanouj

Some principles are timeless, but most leaders' thinking evolves over time.

For example, I'm sure the coach would concede that not all decisions to transfer or turn professional with eligibility left are examples of disloyalty. If she still felt that way, she wouldn't have been party to Jessica Shepard's "disloyal" departure from Nebraska.

Fifteen years ago, a basketball scholarship was an opportunity that paid a young woman way more than she contributed based on the economics of women's basketball. Attendance wasn't what it is today. Tickets were practically given away, often actually given away. I can see why a coach would think walking away from the program after being granted such a scarce and profitable deal was betrayal.

It's different now. There is more money in the sport, so the players are earning their scholarships and then some at the best programs. Coaches are earning a whole lot more money than they did fifteen years ago. The player relationship to the coach and program is more like a contract than a gift or a great break.

I also think Coach McGraw would concede that players leave a school for understandable reasons, often reasons not related to basketball. A departure might be for a "me" reason, but not every "me" reason is a selfish reason.

Replies: