Dueling Boards or "UConn message board"
by BabaGhanouj (2018-08-12 13:24:20)
Edited on 2018-08-14 10:05:43

I realize this thread will not be popular with some Benchers (please don’t ‘Ignore’ me), but I find it curiously compelling and a chance to reach across to those poor, misguided limbo-laden souls.

I noticed today that the Boneyard has a new thread called, “ND message board”. After the flattery subsided, I thought this could be fun. First, let me say that there is no better spot on the internet to find college women basketball news, novelties, and nuances than the Boneyard, period. If your pride fails to allow you to visit their site, it’s your loss, albeit you must wade through a lot of boastful bravado and small minded trivia. Secondly, their board allows for a lot of differences of opinion. I still wish Charliebball had not been booted, but he can be frustrating even on his own board.

Thirdly, and this will really be challenged by all the Rudys out there, this board (just like the Boneyard) is a bit of a granfalloon…not totally, but largely. As someone wisely posted a month or so ago, every board is composed of distinct individuals, each with different ideas and experiences. Lumping all members of a board together is always a mistake. (And to lend support for the granfalloon point, someone on their board just posted “I can't understand for the life of me why someone would peruse a message board of a school that they don't root for.”—separated from birth for a number of Benchers?)

That said, here is what the Boneyard posts about McGraw’s Bench:
I went on it the other day and it seems to me they think they have a Stronger chance at landing Boston then us. They pretty much assume haveing[sic] Sam Brunelle commitment and playing with them just a few weeks ago in Under 18[sic] worlds she will get them ALL to follow them. So we’re all doomed!! They pretty much think there[sic] going to land every top player ... so basically Geno and company should just stop recruiting and go on the walk on and Juco route. Oh by the way it still cracks me up when they refer us to the “Evil Empire”.

I know what you’re thinking, but this is how they often write. It's tough to follow with a lot of ellipses, emojis, sentence fragments and little editing. The thinking is just as sloppy, as the criticism seems especially ironic after reading on their board a plethora of “Me want…” followed by about a half dozen top recruit names. Posters post that they deserve and should end up with the starting five from U17 and more, but the shallowness of the sentiment seems to suggest a strained shakiness.

Come on, Boneyard, Sam is smart and personable, but you're not doing yourselves any favors if a recruit happens to glimpse your site only to decide she wants a real college education. Have some pride in your posts. Seriously, in an all out food fight, what chance do you have? More exclamation marks just won’t cut it.

Replies: