Recruiting notes after Alli's commitment:
by MPG (2018-09-16 17:35:15)

Here are some thoughts and observations after reading everyone's comments and all available articles about the Alli Campbell:

1. I think all of us can agree that Alli is a great addition for 2020. Her quotes in the articles are parallel to Sam Brunelle's after her commitment. Poster Mike who has coached against her sees Alli as a shooting guard/wing at the college level. She could well be the best three point shooting guard on the 2020 ND roster, although others may work hard to improve the way Arike did between her first and second years.

2. As Dillon and others noted, we expected the 2019 class to be resolved before there were commitments made for 2020. Alli was viewed as perhaps the third best tall, point guard for 2020 behind Bueckers and Clark. We can now view Alli as the versatile guard/wing in the mold of Marina Mabrey with the door still open for Bueckers or Clark as a PG/combo guard, both of whom tweeted congratulations to Alli following her commitment. Anaya and Sam did likewise.

3. Baba considered Alli as the most likely 2020 prospect to choose the Irish based partially on her completion of the ND recruiting puzzle and posting pictures of it on her twitter account for months. I noted that as well and found it somewhat indicative of her thinking, as was the picture of Sam at Red Robin in ND gear back in February. Since the public view of ND recruiting seems more opaque than that of many other schools, we need to find hints where we can, even if it seems silly!

4. Speaking of the info we don't know, look carefully at Alli's photo with Muffet on the commitment tweet. Alli is wearing a lanyard that says "Underclass Day" and a Philly Belles t-shirt. This means that this was a summer 2018 event that we heard nothing about, not a single tweet!

5. The Philly Belles connection continues, so we'll need to follow that roster closely.

6. Malu Mutombo surprised me by choosing UNC over ND. Perhaps ND is feeling confident about another post player. It will be interesting to see what news the Stanford weekend brings. We'll also want to keep an eye on the three on three tourney in October with Sam, Aliyah, and Paige as teammates.

Replies: