That Championship Season - Q7
by BabaGhanouj (2018-10-11 07:17:22)

Efficiency Rating can have a few different meanings. The calculation for Efficiency used here is derived by the simple formula: (PTS + REB + AST + STL + BLK − Missed FG − Missed FT - TO) / GP. It should not be confused with PER (Player Efficiency Rating) which was developed by ESPN’s John Hollinger and sometimes calculated by (former) Bench contributor Cavanaugh, who I wish would come back home. Unfortunately it takes a Nobel Prize winning mathematician to calculate PER over 3 or 4 blackboards or on a high speed digital computer.

With regards to the Efficiency calculation listed above, who led the team in Efficiency Rating last year?

by domerduck  (2018-10-11 19:03:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jessica Shephard?

🛎 🛎 🛎 *
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-10-11 19:06:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hmmm....My guess is...
by dillon77  (2018-10-11 13:39:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

one of the two Js:
- Jackie
- Jess

simply by looking at the factors you've listed. Jess would seem to be on the starting or finishing ends of those details and that would seem to help.

And Jackie is good at, well, everything! (whew, really got the calculator out for that one!)

I think
by ricf28  (2018-10-11 09:43:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jessica, or Jackie, or Marina, or Arike, or Kat. Am I right?

My guess
by drmurray  (2018-10-11 07:46:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jess

Answer
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-10-11 07:23:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jessica Shepard - 19.3
Arike Ogunbolwale - 18.4
Jackie Young - 18.2
Marina Mabrey - 16.3
Kathryn Westbeld - 12.7

To put this in some perspective, Megan Gustafson led women's collegiate basketball last year with an Efficiency of 34.4, A’ja Wilson was 2nd with 28.7, and Sabrina Ionescu 3rd with 24.7. ND’s Bonzie Colson in MBB had a Efficiency rating last year of 24.5 which was 5th in the nation for men.

I have also run across a different Efficiency rating that gives Arike the highest score on the team with 14.8 and Jessica next at 13.4. I’ve tried without success to gain an explanation on how that was calculated. Anyway, Jessica Shepard is the correct answer, but Arike was pretty efficient in her own way (and more ‘efficient’ in some other way).