I think you are making the point a bit too strongly in this
by Fighting_Artichoke (2018-10-20 16:51:01)

In reply to: The key factor is UConn plays too weak of a schedule for too  posted by btd

case. Yes, UConn has a very easy conference schedule, but last season they scheduled a pretty decent second half of the season because they inserted two OOC games in the middle of their conference schedule. Those two games (South Carolina on 2/6) and (Louisville on 2/12) and their three games against South Florida (1/6, 2/26 and AAC tournament final on 3/6) made for a very good pre-NCAA warm-up.

Those games, coupled with their tough pre-conference OOC, made their schedule VERY formidable, nearly as hard as Notre Dame's overall pre-NCAA schedule. Sure ND's pre-NCAA tournament schedule had a higher RPI, but UConn played the same number of top 10 teams (5 each) and almost as many top 25 teams (11 for UConn vs. 12 for ND) but their schedule was ranked a bit lower because of the sad cupcakes that inhabit their AAC schedule.

Pre-NCAA schedule

Vs. Top 25 teams

UConn 11 teams with average rank 14.0 (median rank 13); record 11-0

Notre Dame 12 teams with average rank 12.1 (median rank 13); record 9-3

Vs. Top 10 teams

UConn 5 teams with average rank 5.6 (median rank 6); record 5-0

Notre Dame 5 teams with average rank 5.0 (median rank 4); record 2-3

Entire season schedule

Vs. Top 25 teams

UConn 14 teams with average rank 12.4 (median rank 11); record 13-1

Notre Dame 16 teams withe average rank 9.5 (median 9.5); record 13-3

Vs. Top 10 teams

UConn 7 teams with average rank 5.0 (median rank 6); record 6-1

Notre Dame 8 teams with average rank 4.4 (median 4); record 5-3

It’s still very front loaded and USF is half assed at best
by btd  (2018-10-22 15:32:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are the best of the worst in that conference. The fact remains that UConn plays teams like ND long before we are at our best and the last half of their schedule virtually never challenges them.

Contrast that to the Big East where their final game before the NCAA tournament was almost always against ND for a conference title plus they played ND at the end of every regular season too - with the regular season conference title on the line most times.

They simply are not anywhere near as mentally tough as they used to be during Big East years. That doesn’t mean they can’t win because they are so loaded that they don’t have to be as tough as others - larger margin for error.

Now that's what I call a strong argument. 😀
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-10-20 17:20:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As you say four games against top 15 teams in February and March is not too shabby. We may have to revise that easy-schedule-before-the-tournament argument a bit.

Good Research, FA. Revise Argument a Bit...
by dillon77  (2018-10-21 08:28:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

- The pre-AAC schedule is very formidable, right up there with the Irish.
- And Geno is trying to play some tougher games on the back end, but there are only three teams and UConn seems to have South Florida's number.
- And the AAC is, indeed, a container of cupcakes for the likes of KLS and crew.

So, being in a tight contest is something UConn comes across infrequently (Tulane?), which is not something you can accuse the Irish of in ACC ball.

Also, I've read a bit over the summer that many UConn starters were sporting nagging injuries in the tail end of the season. Then why was Geno having his starters play so many minutes in what amounted to scrimmages in the second half? He's had one or two ehh years recruiting, but perhaps the "freshman have to earn their PT living up to my standards" is catching up, a bit. Maybe Geno's standards have been influenced by coaching the National team for years and/or having Stewie and MoJeff on the squad.

In any case, I think he's got to give more PT to frosh like Ono and Williams this year due to graduations and a bit of a talent dearth (for UConn). Stay tuned.

I'll echo ram, good point. *
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-10-21 08:51:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post