Agree, and I also think the players deserve more freedom.
by Kayo (2018-11-11 19:45:02)

In reply to: Interesting point, but  posted by Homeboy73

The NCAA has been more accommodating to transfers in general lately; but historically the system has favored the coaches and schools, not always in the best interests of the athletes. Coaches don't have to honor their contracts; but players who want to change schools have to sit a year even when coaches who promised to be there through their careers leave for greener pastures.

Debbie Antonelli is a product of the system as it has been - player, athletics administrator, broadcaster. Her perspective reflects that; but as more money pours into women's college basketball, the athletes' share of the benefits becomes relatively smaller. Free college is worth a lot; but it doesn't reflect a reasonable share of the revenue football and men's basketball generate; and it's starting to move in that direction for women's basketball. A little freedom for those motivated to finish school on time, if not ahead of schedule, while logging the hours that varsity sports require doesn't seem like too much to ask.

I understand that coaches want order and the ability to manage their rosters, especially after seeing how much the Irish could have used the two players who transferred last season; but the coaches get paid pretty well to cope with occasional departures.

Good thoughts.
by Homeboy73  (2018-11-12 08:48:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree. No issues with players graduating and transferring to play immediately elsewhere as a grad student. I think the real issue (stating the obvious, which is a strength of mine) is under what circumstances can a player that has not yet graduated transfer and play immediately. More flexibility for the player there, as well as clearer rules (that don’t give way to gaming the system) should be the goals.