Recruit Update
by MPG (2018-12-02 18:53:32)

Alli, Anaya, and Alli sat together, wore green, and cheered politely for the Irish. Maddy Westbeld was next to them and I believe Ari Wiggins sat next to her. Paige and Azzi were seated in the same row, but farther down. There were a couple of recruits who also appeared to be guard size, but I did not recognize them. One looked similar to Abby Prohaska, but I don't know who she is. I didn't see anyone who looked like a potential post player.

As for the game, the Irish had some chances to pull even, but didn't play with poise. Against a team of superior athletes, ND needs to play together with precision and poise. Marina had to play too many minutes. The fourth quarter was embarrassing for the team, but not as bad as last year in L'ville.

Let's hope Christyn Williams decides to turn pro!

Superior athletes ?
by MackyBoy  (2018-12-03 05:54:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

what game were you watching ? UConn played better, they hit more 3's and seemed a half step quicker in doing their thing, but ND did not look out-athleted today in the least. In fact for the first time in a long time, I didn't think UConn had an advantage on us. Williams is really good, and the only player on UConn from an "athlete" point of view who "might" be better than ND's best. The final score was deceptive, as this really was a close game and at no time during the first 3 quarters did I feel like ND was being outclassed. The game got away from them in Q4 and I tip my hat to UConn. Rather lose to them now than in April when it really counts. This also will help ND to focus on what they need to improve on. Not having our freshman PG also didn't help, plus Mabrey is not at full speed conditioning wise.

I watched the game from the lower arena of the Joyce
by MPG  (2018-12-03 12:44:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Center where I have watched 98% of the home games during the Muffet era. Here is my evaluation of the relative athleticism of the starters for both teams from Sunday's game.

Williams was the most dynamic athlete on the court.

Dangerfield/Walker were good athletic matches to Ogunbowale/Young.

Collier and Turner were a good athletic match although Collier looked a half-step quicker to me.

Samuelson was more athletic than Mabrey/Shepard. In fact, she surprised me with a few moves she made on Turner.

ND lost the battle for many loose balls because they were a half-step slower. Also the defensive pressure of the more athletic team forced the Irish to lose their poise and rush some shots. Check the points off turnovers and second chance points to see where the game was lost.

As you noted, ND can certainly improve on both ends of the court and play better if there is a return match April. Improved three point shooting would certainly help.