What did Geno say to Arike?
by McLean_ND (2018-12-03 15:26:41)

I wasn't able to watch the game live. Just watched a replay of it on youtube. Around the 54.17 mark he's saying something. Not sure if that's the key moment though. Any lip readers?

Geno, if you watch the press conference, said he was
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-12-03 15:29:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

talking to the referee. Arike probably thought he was talking to her.

He was talking to her
by tedstheman  (2018-12-03 17:28:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our seats are not far from the teams and I even told my wife he was saying something to Arike right before she responded and got the T. He was clearly talking to her. I couldn't hear the words but I doubt he was complimenting her. Arike has to learn to ignore such things, she fell hook, line and sinker for the mental trap.

Thanks
by LarryE  (2018-12-03 18:57:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for the insight. IMO Arike needs to be more poised whatever the situation. She was all out of sorts in Vancouver (I was there) when she was called for the flagrant foul away from the play.

I did notice that she blew Geno off in the handshake line.

Thanks
by LarryE  (2018-12-03 18:57:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for the insight. IMO Arike needs to be more poised whatever the situation. She was all out of sorts in Vancouver (I was there) when she was called for the flagrant foul away from the play.

I did notice that she blew Geno off in the handshake line.

What do you really think watching his body language and
by drmurray  (2018-12-03 16:51:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

knowing his history?

A press conference after a win is his golden moment. As one writer pointed out, Geno is a quote machine after a win.

After spouting several great quotable gems (I like the guy but he really is a jerk) Why is it that he stumbled/mumbled through his explanation of the interaction with Arike?

I can't stand the guy and he really is a jerk. *
by Wolfetone  (2018-12-03 18:56:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In Muffet's press conference, Arike said
by McLean_ND  (2018-12-03 16:11:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"He baited a lot of us" and in response to "Was he saying something to you. Looked like he was talking to you." Arike said "Yeah he said some words and I ... said some back ..."

I'm not trying to suggest Arike didn't lose her poise (almost regardless of what was said) but before taking Geno at his word that he was talking to the ref, it would be nice to know what words he said.

I was talking to my catcher once ...
by CJC  (2018-12-03 16:41:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and got kicked out of a baseball game I was managing.

In the semi-finals of a weekend tournament, the two-person umpiring crew had initially called an opposing batter/runner out for interference, the final out in what would have been a 1-run victory for us.

The opposing manager came out and beefed and the umpires reversed the call.

I exited our dugout and was immediately told -- and I mean immediately -- to get back in the dugout and the game was resuming.

You might imagine that I was a little bit chagrined that my counterpart not only had a chance to be heard on the field, but succeeded in persuading them to reverse their game-ending call while I didn't even get the courtesy of an explanation.

So the game resumed, with the bases loaded and two outs and our team still up by a run.

I proceeded to instruct our catcher, "Don't forget that on a third strike in the dirt, all you have to do is pick up the ball and step on home plate for a force out on the runner coming in from third -- although I'm sure we'll have to read that rule to the umpire out of the rule book."

I was summarily ejected, righteously.

I immediately left the dugout and went to find the tournament director to see if I would be disqualified from the next game due to the ejection. We actually won the game before I could get 25 feet from our diamond.

I found the guy and explained the situation. He laughed and said he was right to throw me out. I immediately agreed.

He then said I wouldn't be disqualified from the next game, and that they would use that as an example in their managers' meeting before the start of the next season.

So I call bullshit on "I wasn't talking to him/her."