I don't believe its due to any player absence.
by ndbutch (2018-12-04 18:48:00)
Edited on 2018-12-04 18:49:18

In reply to: ND image  posted by BB Junky

The same leaders are back. Vocally and performance wise. I think the whole group got flowers tossed at them for too long and then, when smacked in the mouth, didn't handle it well at all. Much different than the adversity that forged last years group.

#1 Ranking. The entire starting 5 on the Wade Trophy and Wooden Watch Lists etc. And better, on paper, than last March. Dancing With The Stars. ESPY Awards. A behind the scenes documentary. Signing Events. Player serving as grand marshal of a fall festival in Evansville. Cubs game. A trophy tour lasting from May 31 to August 23 and comprising 12 events. Heady stuff that's derailed professional teams trying to repeat.

Well. They have adversity now and an entire season still to play. We'll see.

Did tou miss when OSU smacked the Irish
by Traditionnevergraduates  (2018-12-05 20:02:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the mouth?

Injuries and sickness have caused the chemistry to be delayed.

NDbutch nailed it
by pablo  (2018-12-05 10:41:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agree with this. Fame and Celebrity that come so quickly can be very difficult to handle, especially for 21-22 year olds. Most coaches will tell you that the only thing harder than getting to the top is staying there. This is part of the educational experience of young people, and why sports exist at universities in the first place. It's about human development, and this is a teachable moment about how to handle success. Fortunately, these young people have one of the best professors in the country in Muffet McGraw. I'm confident this team will learn, move on, and become better people because of it.

Finally. A reasoned opinion. The rest of you need to get a
by SBSwarm  (2018-12-04 19:06:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

grip on it. Soul searching? Humility? Be better behaved? Gimme a break. Talk about entitlement.

This post I don’t understand.
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-12-04 23:26:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is it saying "humility" or being "better behaved" after the UConn game is not desired nor appropriate?
Is it saying Muffet, Arike, and the rest of the Board need "to get a grip" when they say the team must be held to a higher standard than they showed at the UConn game?
It’s hard to believe that is the intent.

Beyond that, I don’t understand how humility is associated with entitlement.
Entitlement - the belief that one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment
Humility - a modest opinion of one’s own importance
Are they not opposites? I don’t understand how one leads to the other.
Perhaps what was meant is “false humility”. That I can understand. Hopefully, that is not the case in this instance.

I don’t get it either.
by 2ndstreeter  (2018-12-05 08:08:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This wasn’t just another loss for many reasons made obvious by Muffet feeling the need to address the fan base.

I guess I'm alone in this then. I wasn't embarrassed by what
by SBSwarm  (2018-12-05 09:55:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I saw in Sunday's game. Some people lose control of their emotions regularly. We've seen it countless times with Arike, Marina, and Coach McGraw. That is their "personality", not their "character" in my opinion. I think these kids have unusually high expectations placed on them, and then expect even more from themselves. Its understandable (to me) that they make regrettable decisions during moments of failure. I've lived with, worked with, and played with plenty of people that aren't gracious in defeat, that lose control in times of stress, or are just "hot-heads." Are they bad people, who have malicious intent, or lack integrity? I doubt it. I think making character determinations about Coach McGraw and her team based on what we saw Sunday is short-sighted. And if you don't think that you can root for them anymore because they're not the epitome of Diana Taurasi and Mahatma Gandhi, then I believe it is you that is acting entitled. But you got your apologies, so I hope that's the end of it.

Who said anything about not rooting for them anymore?
by 2ndstreeter  (2018-12-05 21:12:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who demeaned the total character of any of the players or coaches? Stop putting up straw men and trying to define both sides of an argument you started.

Sorry, streeter. Poor thread linkage on my part. My comment
by SBSwarm  (2018-12-07 05:47:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was mostly directed at someone else.

This I understand.
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-12-05 11:06:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't agree necessarily because I think the poor sportsmanship (sportswomanship) fell below a reasonable standard. However, I do agree that it is a fuzzy line between asking one's team to set a high standard and a feeling of moral superiority, which is what I think you mean by entitlement.

It is a common and often deserved criticism of the Notre Dame fan—their expression of moral superiority. Like every other school, Notre Dame tries, but often fails, in its mission, in education as well as sports. But the point is to keep trying. You bring up some interesting points that, if this were a sport philosophy site or a philosophy of games site, I would love to discuss. But, alas, it's just a common fan site, so, like you say, it's best to leave it. Thanks for your reasonable response.

And MM has apologized on Twitter. * *
by ndbutch  (2018-12-04 19:04:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Muffet's tweet (link)
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2018-12-04 19:22:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thx. Reassuring To See That and Arike's
by dillon77  (2018-12-05 08:08:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would hope to see results of that starting in Toledo. The key is to see if any such redo's are dealt with accordingly. Listen, I admire Arike and all of their competitiveness (obviously), but channel correctly. Think MM will get this redirected...

Whoah. Incredible tweet
by RISteve  (2018-12-04 22:03:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Someone watched the film a few times

Indeed. Incredible tweet—by the best coach in the nation. *
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-12-04 23:37:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post