I don’t get it either.
by 2ndstreeter (2018-12-05 08:08:00)

In reply to: This post I don’t understand.  posted by BabaGhanouj

This wasn’t just another loss for many reasons made obvious by Muffet feeling the need to address the fan base.

I guess I'm alone in this then. I wasn't embarrassed by what
by SBSwarm  (2018-12-05 09:55:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I saw in Sunday's game. Some people lose control of their emotions regularly. We've seen it countless times with Arike, Marina, and Coach McGraw. That is their "personality", not their "character" in my opinion. I think these kids have unusually high expectations placed on them, and then expect even more from themselves. Its understandable (to me) that they make regrettable decisions during moments of failure. I've lived with, worked with, and played with plenty of people that aren't gracious in defeat, that lose control in times of stress, or are just "hot-heads." Are they bad people, who have malicious intent, or lack integrity? I doubt it. I think making character determinations about Coach McGraw and her team based on what we saw Sunday is short-sighted. And if you don't think that you can root for them anymore because they're not the epitome of Diana Taurasi and Mahatma Gandhi, then I believe it is you that is acting entitled. But you got your apologies, so I hope that's the end of it.

Who said anything about not rooting for them anymore?
by 2ndstreeter  (2018-12-05 21:12:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who demeaned the total character of any of the players or coaches? Stop putting up straw men and trying to define both sides of an argument you started.

Sorry, streeter. Poor thread linkage on my part. My comment
by SBSwarm  (2018-12-07 05:47:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was mostly directed at someone else.

This I understand.
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-12-05 11:06:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't agree necessarily because I think the poor sportsmanship (sportswomanship) fell below a reasonable standard. However, I do agree that it is a fuzzy line between asking one's team to set a high standard and a feeling of moral superiority, which is what I think you mean by entitlement.

It is a common and often deserved criticism of the Notre Dame fan—their expression of moral superiority. Like every other school, Notre Dame tries, but often fails, in its mission, in education as well as sports. But the point is to keep trying. You bring up some interesting points that, if this were a sport philosophy site or a philosophy of games site, I would love to discuss. But, alas, it's just a common fan site, so, like you say, it's best to leave it. Thanks for your reasonable response.