These Highlights make me super excited
by brianant (2019-01-12 03:19:55)

Could anyone contrast Katlyn Gilbert and Anya's games?
by PWK2  (2019-01-12 12:24:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe they are both 5'10" and I think both will be shooting guards. They seem, superficially, similar. Anyone with insight?

I thought about this a little and decided
by BabaGhanouj  (2019-01-12 13:19:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on nothing substantial. Katlyn may be more of a slasher to Anaya's stutter step on drives. Katlyn may have quicker feet to Anaya's quicker hands. To tell the truth, I'm not sure. The superficial similarities you mentioned, may go deeper. They both trained under the same practice and AAU coach. Their shooting styles are very similar.

I think the biggest difference, at least in the beginning will be their confidence and how they adjust to the college game. Katlyn has a head start on that next year. Are either one of them good players, like Kayla McBride, who could end up as great players? We will see? It's possible. Maybe others have more insight.

I look forward to seeing Anaya and Katlyn on the court
by MPG  (2019-01-12 14:58:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

together as they were in AAU ball. They would be an old-fashioned guard tandem with both of them being able to handle, pass, and score. If they develop as consistently good three-point shooters, that will make them even more valuable.

Neither is Kmac
by traditionnevergraduates  (2019-01-12 14:57:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One is a point the other is a 2.

Who Do You Think Is the Point and Who is the #2?
by dillon77  (2019-01-12 16:11:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As you probably know, both have played point on their high school and AAU teams. In fact, on "greatest hits clips" of their AAU team, you can see them taking turns bringing the ball up and, alternately, being on the receiving ends of passes.

Before she was injured, MM said Katlyn was not going to be playing any point in 2018-19. Now that she's out for the season, I wonder what that does regarding next year. BTW, in the 2019 Class Signing Announcement, MM did say Katlyn would remind people of Kmac.

In high school, Anaya is listed as the point guard, but that's probably because -- like many other talented D1 prospects -- she's the best guard on the floor and handles the ball.

I've read somewhere that MM believes Anaya won't be playing the point primarily. (Still believe Jordan Nixon will get her full shot.)

The main differences I see between the two is Anaya might be a bit more physical than Katlyn, while Gilbert also has a bit more range on her jumper. At least what she's done in games/cips I've seen.

Outside of that, I like MPG's description...they're both old school guards who can alternate bringing the ball up and being the #2. Think Frazier/Monroe or West/Goodrich for us old-timers.

In either case, look forward to them joining with Abby P. next year and whomever will join Alli Campbell in the Class of 2020.

Those highlights do capture some Peoples' strengths.
by BabaGhanouj  (2019-01-12 08:33:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We saw from her play on the U18 USA Team (courtesy of Jeff Walz), like these highlights show, she has great defensive presence, long arms, and quickness to block shots and intercept passes. She has a seriousness and determination on display at all times. I think I've only seen her smile in one video after she hit a buzzer beater.

Note, we will be blessed with contrasting personalities on the court. Sam is fight with emotion on her sleeve, Anaya is fight with inner resolve. Of course, off the court Anaya is all smiles.

It's always tough to predict how these high school players will adjust to the college game their first year. Often the more introverted players need more time to boost their confidence, however, I think Anaya could see a lot of playing time because of her focus on defense and finding teammates with passes. Sam should be shooting before she barely gets into the half court. But, like I said, who knows?

You named the unnameable one *
by 2ndstreeter  (2019-01-12 12:35:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ooops, I'm heading to the time out corner. *
by BabaGhanouj  (2019-01-12 13:04:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s all in good fun, I hope.
by 2ndstreeter  (2019-01-12 16:58:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There’s too much real hate in the world today.

Definitely! I'd hope to get away without using an emoji. *
by BabaGhanouj  (2019-01-12 17:49:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Question on Sams injury
by maverick  (2019-01-12 09:14:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know it requires surgery but how much will it affect her freshman year

It shouldn't.
by ndbutch  (2019-01-12 09:46:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Outside chance she returns if her high school team gets out of the sub-regionals.