Up 37: Arike with a doughnut!
by NDLAW88 (2019-01-13 14:07:24)

Skylar safe for an extra game

Nixon is still a turnover machine *
by ufl  (2019-01-13 14:15:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nixon
by Yumamss  (2019-01-14 08:37:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe Jordan’s biggest problem is that she is trying to be to perfect. Example on offense she dribbles to much instead of just making a pass and cutting.

Agree...Pursuit of Perfection And/or Not Making a Mistake
by dillon77  (2019-01-14 08:56:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..can make one think not act, which isn't what one needs to perform at this level on a constant basis. That "is this right" moment can allow defenders to tip/pick off passes or fill the passing lanes.

Abby suffers from a corollary of this: is there a way I can pass up this shot? (Molly Bent still does it at UConn).

Good news: Dani P. seems to be coming out of it in her sophomore season and hopefully Jordan and Abby will do so as well (talking about it as roommates can only help).

They're both highly rated frosh, have done good things and made some contributions. And, oh yes, let's not forget they're playing behind some superstars. All of whom also came off the bench in herky-jerky fashion their frosh years. Let's use the whole season.

Nixon
by hempfield75  (2019-01-13 20:37:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think everyone should give Nixon a break...She is still a freshman and has lost time with an injury...Look at everyones stats...Junior and senior have constantly had more turnovers and they should no better...They know the system and have been playing alot longer..No excuses for the turnovers...At this point we need to focus on her positives. First of all. She would not get the minutes she does if MM did not have patience and confidence in her...She is receiving more minutes then any other bench player....She is constantly hustling on the court, is NY tough and gets her name in the stat sheet with assists, rebounds, steals and anything else to help the team...You can see she cares with her reaction after a mistake...With all freshman and Sophs, she is still learning..I still feel she will be special...Give her the time she deserves...

SEG/Chief

There's some truth to this
by ufl  (2019-01-14 08:45:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think we were spoiled by Allen. She came ready to play as a freshman. That's unusual.

My problem is not that Nixon plays so poorly. It's that there doesn't seem to be discernable improvement. It's still early. Perhaps it will come.

That’s true, but I believe that many people had
by Tim Kelley  (2019-01-13 21:24:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

high expectations given her performance in HS, rankings and her accolades. They were at least expecting to see a glimmer of something special. And, quite honestly, I haven’t seen it yet. Yes players develop differently and at different paces, or not. There are examples of freshman coming in at other schools and at ND and playing very well early in their freshman years. I think that any level of either disappointment or concern should probably be seen against those high expectations.

It’s obviously a wait and see scenario where the benefit of the doubt needs to be given, but nothing to get too excited about so far, IMO.

Nixon
by hempfield75  (2019-01-14 02:42:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree. The expectations were very high on her coming into this year. Most freshman recruits have high expectations put on them at most schools...Especially schools like ND, Tennessee, UCONN, Stanford that are use to recruiting the best talent in the country....Look at Koko...It took her last two years to really show her skills...Poor Diamond never could reach those expectations...I have seen it many times over the years in all sports. So many athletes come in and never make it to where we as fans, coaches, and themselves put them...Others come in unnoticed and make a big impact. Look at those two players at Oregon...We are fortunate that she came in this year and not last year. The pressure would have been huge...This year even though MM does not always say it but she could afford to be patient with Nixon this year...Look at Sam for next year...The expectations are going to be even much higher for her and AP next year. Mainly because of the social media...We have built these kids to almost goddesses...Another quick example is DP...Again expectations were high and Vaughn did not help by adjusting alittle quicker...But even if they do not meet our expectations you can see it in them....I personally believe Vaughn, DP and Cosgrove are going to make a threesome at the high low next year that our opponents will be scare to go against...I thought I read on this board where Sam may end up a 3...I hope so...Well I did it again and ran my fingers...Blame my doctors for this long winded fingers...Maybe I should cut back on my sugar....

SEG/Chief

I wonder if she’ll turn the corner this season
by 2ndstreeter  (2019-01-13 15:35:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s the weak point right now

It's hard to see an upward trend.
by ufl  (2019-01-13 15:38:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe the light will go on suddenly.

I think her defense is marginally better than her
by PWK2  (2019-01-13 20:53:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

first few games. Maybe 5% better. I still don't think it's adequate.

Nixons defense
by hempfield75  (2019-01-14 02:54:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do not think her defense is that bad for a freshman...Yes we need to see improvements and she is...Fortunately, she has team mates where improvement steps can be small...You can see her reaction on the court when she makes a mistake...She is really hard on herself. Besides it is the coaches job to bring her along at the needed pace...I believe she is averaging around 17 minutes a game...That is pretty good for a freshman...Look at Vaughn and especially DP....Dani last year did not see the floor much...Even though both have shown improvements,,,they do not get the minutes as Nixon...If MM was truly not happy with her. I guarantee you she would be on the bench...I remember watching Jackie getting pulled from games and sitting the bench her freshman year....I was concerned she would get frustrated not improve and or transfer....That is my biggest fear...

SEG/Chief

I thought I saw Nixon show something new.
by sixtythreer  (2019-01-13 19:58:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On two occasions Nixon took the ball down the lane to the basket. This is the first time I can recall seeing her go with the speed she showed today. This is the first time I thought she looked really quick.

Taking the Ball Down Court
by hempfield75  (2019-01-13 20:43:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your right she did...Not just the speed but quickness...Which tells me she is gaining confidence in her abilities...Now for the bad news...Seems she is also following the example of her fellow players in missing layups...

SEG/Chief

It is somewhat harder to make layups when you get
by sixtythreer  (2019-01-13 23:15:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

clobbered when you try to shoot. I felt Louisville's game plan was to foul the heck out of any of our girls going in for a layup. Rather than conceding a probable two, I felt that they were hoping for a "no call," or that we might miss at least one of two free throws.

Louisvilles Game Plan is to be Physical
by hempfield75  (2019-01-14 02:19:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It has been brought up by ESPN...Posters this site and I believe whats his name even mentioned on the post interview...

SEG/Chief

It's the Pitino philosophy "They won't call all of them"
by NDoggie78  (2019-01-14 08:50:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you have 10-12 players, you have 50-60 fouls. I think officials get tired of blowing their whistle or think they have to try to keep the foul number equal - both of which benefit Louisville