Would Love To Hear Your Takes on Gustafson, Beal
by dillon77 (2019-01-18 16:06:55)

In reply to: Rather than opine, I will agree totally with your evaluation  posted by Irish72

..after all, that's one of the reasons we're here: share/exchange information.

I've watched Gustafson on B1G Network a little last year, and a bunch this year. So any input --- whether you've been in the stands or watched on TV -would be great.

BTW, I think she'll make a WNBA team, but think she'll do better with those that have a more deliberate pace.

Thanks for input on Beal. What do you think is/are her best asset(s)?

I know the coaching staff went out to see her at an open house once and after that, kind of crickets.

Mrs72 was an honorable mention Iowa all-state player so we
by Irish72  (2019-01-18 19:43:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

go to 2-3 Iowa games a year. Gustafson plays a lot like JS, maybe not as quick footed so not on same level defensively. She has a high bb IQ and is able to make the team play better as a result. If surrounded by same level of teammates as ND's post players I think she would look even better. As you noted she is more suited to a half court offense rather than a fast paced one. Iowa is a solid team, but a tier lower than the Irish. Bluder is a good coach, but not MM level. I followed her a bit during her tenure at St. Ambrose.

We have also gone to 2-3 Rocky games a year. About 3 years ago I posted that I thought Beal was a carbon copy of JL. I may temper that a bit now as I don't think she is quite as fluid as Jewel. She has the ability to take over a game, but tends to play too unselfishly at times. I have only seen highlights of Brunelle's play. I think MM and ND cooled on Beal when SB was considered headed to the Irish.

Thanks for the Input....
by dillon77  (2019-01-19 08:19:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...the Bball IQ of Gustafson is a definite and the point about her doing just as well with better players makes me think of how she'd work with the Irish.

The Beal wing position is interesting. Beal is what, 6' or 6'1"? Brunelle is a definite 6'2". Don't know where Sam will end up at ND but I'm not sure she has the foot speed to play wing defense. On the other hand, with ND in a zone so much, I could see her in a 2-3. Still I'm betting she is the heir apparent to the Kat Westbeld slot.

Keep posting!

Also, what position did Mrs. 72 play? My sister was a shooting high post in the 70s who went the swimming route in college for a few years before a knee injury.
The other thought is that MM/Niele went great guns after Haley Jones, although I personally thought Jones wouldn't leave the west coast.

In any case, it will be interesting to see how Beal does in S.C. Personally, I thought she was headed to Michigan.

Mrs72 played Iowa 6 on 6 and was a forward. Her older sister
by Irish72  (2019-01-19 12:22:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was a guard on the state championship team in '64 winning on a '74 UCLA/ND type game—appropriate for today. They went to state twice but no title. Single class back then and most of the big city schools didn't even play. FT shooting is one of my pet peeves about this team. Mrs72 still has HS record with 74 in a row and quite often comments on it being a lost art today. Just short of turning Kelly purple.

OT: in dental school intramural ball the dental wives had a team. Frosh and Soph years they went 0-10. A classmate's wife and Mrs72 played(we had married that summer) the last two years—I coached and ran Digger's get the ball to AC and stay out of the way offense—the next two years. Junior year we won league with a 12-0 record and senior year we were 10-1. Four of our starting five were pregnant so hindered our run and gun offense.

I have been on NDN since the start and enjoy MB the most, reading your and other regulars postings. Did your sister play in Iowa?