NC and Miami
by hempfield75 (2019-02-13 01:56:34)

In reply to: That NC loss was really bad. None of the top 12 teams other  posted by Domerduck

Lets just say we win the remaining games on our schedule....We play NC and Miami again in the ACC Tournament and bet them both by say 20 points. Then we beat Louisville in the finals just say 8 to 10 points...Would the wins over Miami and NC in the tournament nil out the losses early in the season. Plus beating a team in the two three for a second time put us more in the position for a 1 seed over one of the teams ahead of us....Thanks...

SEG/Chief

If that's L'ville only other loss, I don't think so. Still
by Domerduck  (2019-02-13 03:39:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it's possible the committee might put 29-3 ND ahead of 30-2 L'ville in your scenario with two of our losses avenged, ND owning the ACC Tourney championship, while L'ville won the ACC regular season outright. Even with that scenario 30-2 UConn and the three 31-1 teams (Baylor, Oregon, and MSU) who are all both their conference champ and tourney champ would most certainly have one seeds over 29-3 ND. Not sure all that will happen as much is still to be played, but IMO ND is going to need some help if it wants the 1 seed back.

Ultimately the most important thing that ND can get is to go to Chicago even as a two Seed. It's certainly better than going to Albany or Portland if UConn and Oregon are also there. If winning out and beating Louisville helps us do that than that's great.

ND Chances being 1 Seed
by hempfield75  (2019-02-13 22:56:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for your input. Great insight....I agree with you. ND will need outside help to get back to 1 seed....But I think they still have a great shot at getting seeded in Chicago, as long as the keep winning...Thanks

SEG/Chief

I believe you are incorrect in your assertion.
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2019-02-13 15:05:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If Notre Dame and Louisville both win out until the ACC tournament final, and the Irish then defeat the Cardinals, we will have one more loss than Louisville but far more better wins, including going 2-0 vs. Louisville. The committee values good wins over bad losses, so any way you look at it, Notre Dame would have the stronger resume.

Louisville cannot control their conference schedule, but their OOC schedule (ASU at neutral site, Kentucky and UConn at home) was definitely less challenging than Notre Dame's (Gonzaga and Oregon St at neutral site, Iowa and UConn at home, away game @Marquette). We are top-ranked in OOC RPI and OOC SOS. Louisville is 3rd in OOC RPI and 17th in OOC SOS.

You cannot just count losses and order teams on the S-curve that way. Remember 31-1 Baylor last season? Ranked 2nd with only one loss but relegated to a 2-seed because of a weak schedule. Meanwhile Notre Dame (ranked 5th/6th in the polls) with a 29-3 record gets a 1-seed. Baylor goes on to lose in the E8 to Oregon St., while ND won it all.

Remember Maryland in 2017? Ranked 5th/3rd in the polls with a gaudy 30-2 record, but relegated to a 3-seed because of a weak schedule. They fell to 10-seed Oregon in the E8.

I hope you are right and I'm wrong, we'll see. *
by Domerduck  (2019-02-13 15:26:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post