#1, #6, #14, #17, #27 in that mock draft
by NDoggie78 (2019-04-09 14:55:52)
Edited on 2019-04-09 15:02:43

In reply to: And Jackie is now the projected top pick  posted by RISteve

Sure wish that were the numbers coming in next year

I would like to see the WNBA push back the draft another week and give juniors who are eligible a week to decide

NCAA WBB is 10x more popular than WNBA in TV ratings so
by Domerduck  (2019-04-09 15:18:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they want to leverage the FInal 4 into the draft into the start of the season. Also Weds is the last day of the NBA regular season and everyone knows more basketball TV eyes go on the NBA when they are in the playoffs. WNBA does not want to compete with that. They start their season as the NBA playoffs is finishing of the conference championships and right before the NBA finals which start May 30.

First preseason game starts May 9 (a month from now) with the CHinese National Team playing the NY Liberty. How's that promotion with Xu. The WNBA season starts May 24th. Oh and by the way the major funding source for the WNBA is the NBA and ESPN.

It's not fair but they need the draft midweek after the NCAA championship if they want to promote the WNBA and launch the season while the NBA is still playing it's most watched games. They get the college players who still are fresh in mind from the recent tourney and season. It's not a bad business model.

Would the WNBA fold without NBA underwriting? *
by thethinman  (2019-04-10 14:44:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well give them until Tuesday midnight to decide
by NDoggie78  (2019-04-09 16:19:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not like football - you don't have to scout thousands of players.

It's hurt us twice with these hurried decisions. They can't focus on the game because of the choices weighing on their minds. If they had a couple days at least, they could wait until after the tourney to make the decision.

It's not fair to the young ladies and not fair to the teams

I agree I wish they had some space..
by TWO  (2019-04-09 17:56:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but truth is the whole stay or go to the WNBA has been out there for Jackie for quite awhile and I seriously doubt this is something that she wasn't aware of before the season started. I'm be shocked if she and her family haven't thought this through and made what they feel is the best decision and that they weren't really under the gun with new information/opportunity that comes up suddenly.

It just "appeared" a problem in Final Four
by NDoggie78  (2019-04-10 08:47:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She wasn't herself - I'm guessing this decision was the reason. Maybe Ionescu staying affected the decision - if there was more time, Ionescu might have waited too.

While Jackie knew all season, her stock rose towards the end of the year when mock drafts were coming out.

Now even with a few extra days, we don't know her play would have been any different, but some time after the season ends would seem more fair.