Don't Quite Know What To Think of This Hire....
by dillon77 (2019-04-09 18:44:52)

In reply to: Purdue & Auburn with a 162-117 record (.581). Also USA  posted by Domerduck

I've been in jury deliberations all day and just came out to a mess of transfers, a new predicted WNBA order and this hiring.

I've gotten to appreciate some...errr, even most...of Nell's homespun insights on ESPN. Beyond the hokum, there's some definite insight. She had a great record as the U.S. National Team coach but, really, who wouldn't?

But the track record at Auburn, her last major gig, was ehhh. Been out of the business for a pretty long time and is jumping back in at a time when most are starting to think "when should I get out?"

Really thought this job was going to go to someone like Felisha Legette-Smith, who bounced back from a tough experience at Indiana and nailed it at Buffalo, using a combination of transfers, international players and under-the-radar types. Imagine what she could've done in Atlanta and Georgia Tech? Or Tina Langley, who took Rice from a nothing to an NCAA berth?

Or maybe the mess at Ga. Tech scared some folks off? Their top four players are in the transfer portal...who knows if they're coming back? And there could be some residual effects from the M. Joseph-Ga. Tech mess, which is sure to go to litigation. Maybe coaches that I mentioned steered clear and/or Nell was a popular "safe and bright lights choice."

Joseph was intense but she had some talent on that team. Wish her luck, but we'll see what happens here: I'm not as enthusiastic as others.

Replies: