Not every recruit is the same.
by ndbutch (2019-04-16 11:42:13)

In reply to: Based on Bueckers' comments about how impressed she was by  posted by SorinBasement

I've seen coaches (including a former ND men's coach) asked to leave a player and family alone. Bueckers wanted UConn. You aren't going to overcome that by showing up constantly. 1 year ago people were prattling on about (and UConn fans were panicking over) Bueckers on a twitter video jumping for joy after the Mississippi State win. And Brunelle was thought to be some sort of Pied Piper. None of that mattered or will matter.

Players are going to pick the program they like most.

Your post discounts the importance of effort and method
by SorinBasement  (2019-04-16 13:48:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

during the recruiting process. If you take the position that players are simply going to pick the program they like most, why even bother trying to recruit them?

Bueckers and her high school coach have specifically cited to the importance of Auriemma's personal presence during UConn's recruitment of her. Stuff like that matters to recruits, especially the highly-ranked ones.

With the loss of our starting five, our remaining roster does not stack up with places like UConn, South Carolina, Baylor and Stanford (including their incoming class). Those places have out-recruited us the past three years. We need to do everything we can to make sure that doesn't happen with Azzi Fudd.

No. Not really.
by ndbutch  (2019-04-18 16:23:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think some have taken the position that what Bueckers, or her coach, said was a difference is a catch all for every recruit. And that camping out on the doorstep more is going to get a recruit. I don't agree. She said that she's always wanted to go to UConn. She saw ND more than once. Frequent flyer miles weren't going to alter that dynamic.

Brianna Turner, on the other hand, saw ND once and committed. Texas put in a lot more time and effort as a more local program. Azzi Fudd has been quoted as saying she saw herself playing at UConn when she was younger. Things may have changed. But I can't see it being because ND shows up in DC more. Some believe that Maryland is a bigger player in this than is being acknowledged.

Actually, I Think We'd All Like To See ....
by dillon77  (2019-04-16 14:25:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...an effective closing few months to the 2020 recruiting season, as well. This and 2021 are pretty critical. So, whatever it takes to personalize/tailor the recruiting pitch for key prospects is paramount. Some like to see coaches; others hear from them a lot or on a consistent basis.

I do believe that some players have starting dispositions toward certain schools, but the deal still has to be finished. And Geno A. did that with Bueckers.

Once Alli Campbell attended Recruitapalooza/Nielefest, she was excited about ND and came back. From there, ND and she mutually closed it.

Who knows what it will take for Caitlin Clark, Natalija Marshall (who has now taken an OV here), Kylee Watson, Deja Kelly, Maddy Westbeld and others we may/may not know about. But here's hoping no efforts are held back.

BTW, besides UConn, it's Stanford and Oregon I worry about in going after similar players With Duke on a slow decline, Stanford seems to have become a key rival for certain kinds of playrs...but Oregon goes after some prospects that seem "Irish," too).