Mila, Roster Size
by dillon77 (2019-04-17 10:44:34)

In reply to: Thanks Dillon - question on Mila Reynolds (2022)  posted by NDoggie78

- I have not seen that much "tape" on Mila Reynolds; largely relying on news articles and/or posts for information. You're right, the game continues to get bigger and taller.

Jackie "bulked up" Muffet's three-guard attack as a sturdy 6-footer. There's talk that Alli could play wing as she continues to grow skyward. And Maddy Westbeld, all 6'2" of her, prefers to play wing, as opposed to Kat's #4 spot.

So, sure, if she continues to improve her ball-handling skills, why not give her a look at the 3?

- Roster size. The age of the transfer poses a conundrum: With people leaving for greener pastures, do you increase the size of the roster to prepare for what seems to be an inevitable loss?

Or, does that feed into an un-virtuous circle?
- Even "low-hanging fruit" players want to get on the court, right? Keegan Sullivan has offers from the likes of DePaul. Would she rather play a fair amount there or get limited minutes at ND?

Maybe these kind of players initially opt for the local and/or "I'm juiced because it's ND" angle and then later decide, "I want court time." Time for option B.

After all, when all is said and done, Muffet (and Geno, much like her) never play many subs in crunch time.

- So maybe having walk-ons who are staying at ND regardless, who show up to practice regardless and accept they'll only play save for blow-outs isn't such a bad option. (Just a thought).

- MM has said she likes to get to know her players more (better?) recently. Not only does she enjoy them more, perhaps this personal connection helps mitigate folks leaving out of the blue. (maybe not). But the personal input takes time. Does adding one or two more make the job even harder? And if the cast changes a bit due to transfer and/or injury, there's always "one more," right?

Interesting perspective on your thought but seems like a Tough call. Geesh, at this point getting back to 11 or 12 scholarship players would be an achievement.