Reflections
by Pablo (2019-04-23 15:10:45)

In the aftermath of Jackie and Dani leaving, I starting thinking about the past season and I'm convinced there was just something not right about that team. Admitting to pure speculation, I wonder if this team just struggled under the weight of expectations. It didn't appear like the team had as much fun as they did last year. Even Muffet seemed more intense than usual and commented often on how long the season seemed. She didn't seem to enjoy this season very much. She looked, and coached, like she was afraid to lose, and the team played like they had the weight of the world on its shoulder. Let's face it, neither the team nor MM are used to being in this position. They played better last year when they played loose because they weren't expected to win a national championship. I know it sounds crazy to say that finishing runner-up nationally is a disappointment, but I'm sure it is to MM, and that has to filter to the team.

The first hint was the UCONN regular season game. That team full of veterans flinched, they lost their composure, and got schooled by a true freshman. The slow starts in the tourney--coming from behind to beat A&M, Stanford, UCONN, and once again the terrible start against Baylor--this team, for whatever reason, did not show up ready to play. I don't know how you come out so slow in the national title game, but they did. And I don't think MM's comments about gender equity helped the cause. I don't dispute what she said, but I do question the timing. I think the team was distracted, and so was MM who frankly, I don't think coached her best game in the championship. She tried to get the conversation back to basketball in a post-game interview after UCONN, but by then it was too late.

As for Dani, without question she should have gotten more minutes. But when you are the national champs, with five returning starters, no lead is safe enough to pull the starters. A 20-point lead is no longer enough when you're supposed to win by 30.

I have to admit I scratched my head when I read that Dani was the most improved player. My first thought was, how can you tell? She didn't play enough. If she was most improved, why didn't she play more? I don't begrudge Dani her award, but she would not have been the first person I would think of as the most improved player. I wonder if MM knew Dani was unhappy and the award was an attempt to placate/retain her.

Well, on to next year. It's unlikely we'll win as many games, but maybe without the expectations it will be fun again.

Sorry for the length, feel free to disagree. This was mainly cathartic for me. Go Irish.

Replies: