Continued Interest in Grad. Transfers Catches One's Eye
by dillon77 (2019-05-13 18:34:14)
Edited on 2019-05-13 18:39:34

In reply to: Great article, lots of MM Quotes  posted by joeyt28

To wit:

"McGraw would like to add a point guard graduate transfer as well because the options in the front court apparently have been exhausted.

"“They either went somewhere else or we didn’t think it was a good fit,” she said, also noting that the staff was looking at only grad transfers because of the current urgency situation where they need immediate help."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not quite sure if the "they" referring to front court options are strictly about grad transfers but, if so, that would sync up with what we've seen and/or written about: relatively slim pickin's up front.

Given Jordan Nixon's up and down year frosh year (for a variety of reasons), one can see how the coaching staff would look at possible one-year fits to add some stability and/or guidance to mesh with the sophomore. And, of course, that wouldn't pose any issues with 2020 PG recruits (particularly one from the midwest that wants an opportunity to play right off the bat...).

The point guard mention coincides with a tip I got that a player in the transfer portal from Stanford was possibly going to visit ND just before the dead period. The only person in the portal for Stanford is grad transfer Marta Sniezek, who is, indeed, a point guard and is getting her undergraduate degree shortly. Pretty sure she's an American Studies major so there would a lot of one-year grad programs available.
It will be interesting to see if that trip was made and if there was mutual interest between the coaching staff/team and the player.

There's another better known PAC 12 grad. transfer pg available, Minyon Moore, but one hears her name thrown about with Mississippi State and/or Oregon (she's tight with Ms. Ionescu). So, Sniezek might make some sense, particularly given that we've drawn from Stanford before.

Phew. Next year will be a great challenge for the coaches
by drmurray  (2019-05-15 16:53:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on many levels.

A small, unproven lineup with a few key members returning from injury.

Patience will be key.

Interesting references to four guards being the primary set
by MPG  (2019-05-13 19:47:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and greater reliance on the Princeton offense. We should start a Sniezek watch.It is great to see an off-season article with some substance.

Further Thought on Sniezek....
by dillon77  (2019-05-16 14:43:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..a friendly voice reminded me that Stanford does not graduate until mid-June (15, 16?). The proverbial "we" might not hear anything until then.
Given the kind of PG Sniezek is, I could see MM wanting Sniezek to ensure the Princeton offense (Mabrey 1-Allen-Cable variety) runs on all cylinders and gets the ball to open shooters and/or back-door cutters.

Stay tuned....

A four guard set is pretty much a given
by cbiebel  (2019-05-14 02:40:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Right now the players next year over 6'0" are Vaughn, Cosgrove, and Brunelle. Considering depth and wanting to rest players, I could see quite a bit of 4 guard situations coming up.

Agreed. Interesting Opposite Could Occur in 2020...
by dillon77  (2019-05-14 06:54:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..when most the recruits could be -- knock on wood -- over 6' fall. Right now, MM has Nat Marshall (6'5") and guard Alli Campbell (6') and could have Kylee Watson (6'4" or 6'3"), guard Caitlin Clark (6') and/or wing Maddy Westbeld (6'2"). That's solid overall height. Now, Deja Kelly (5'8") could crash that 72" inch club, but that does not seem to bother the recruiters-that-be.

ND Hoops recruits reported that the Ducks have added
by MPG  (2019-05-14 10:15:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a third guard/wing for 2020 and that Sidney Cooks has transferred to Mississippi State. If ND wants to play four guards in the future with Brunelle/Westbeld as the fourth...

That's Maddie Scherr, a 5'11" Guard Out of Kentucky
by dillon77  (2019-05-14 10:29:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...listed as combo guard, but most articles think she'll go off guard at Oregon, with Te-Hina Paopao at the point and Sydney Parris at the wing.
Graves is expanding his recruiting base eastwards to the midwest/border states..that's the third state he's plucked a recruit from (Indiana, Illinois and Kentucky).

My gut is that Clark thinks she can start over virtually anyone, but Graves must be thinking/covering his options with all of these signings.

As I've joked, Matt McGraw should take his grill and set up shop across from the Clark's house and make dinner every night. The idea that MM is pondering a grad. transfer for PG this year underscores the importance of the push for a PG in 2020.

I have to remind myself that Caitlin Clark said that she
by MPG  (2019-05-14 14:34:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

expected to make a decision during the time following her AAU season in July and before her high school season began. Deja Kelly continues to earn praise for her AAU play, although I have not seen a timeline for her decision. I believe that one of Watson/Westbeld is a must, along with one of the guards, if Muffet envisions four guards and mobile posts as the future for her team beyond this coming season.