I would argue that it should be a criticism
by bmoreirish (2019-05-16 14:05:37)

In reply to: i agree with nd paul  posted by BB Junky

ND is an elite WBB school, probably #2 behind UConn, and clearly in the top 4. All credit is due to McGraw and her work for this. Still, a school in this position should be reloading, not rebuilding. Yes, there are going to be years where the talent is young and maybe not ready to win it all, but the dearth of bigs this upcoming season is stunning. We should be prepared to absorb a transfer blow and it appears we were not. An elite program should never have so few on scholarship.

I have every confidence that we will return to elite, but that doesn't mean this couldn't have been handled better.

About the last sentence of your 1st paragraph...
by cbiebel  (2019-05-20 20:29:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is another program out there that, not including transfers, had to deal with 8 scholarship players returning plus an incoming recruit. In addition, half of those will be seniors, so not only will they need a big class (and/or quite a few transfers in) just to get to their standard 11-12 player team, but they will also have to replace those 4 who will be graduation next year.

That program is UConn.

They've had a grad transfer (from Murray St.) and a player from Poland added so far (are either standard level for UConn? Not sure). Also, there is Evina Westbrook who might get immediate eligibility, but that isn't certain.

But my point is that UConn, of all programs, was in that very situation that you said an elite program should never be in.

But it appears they solved the problem
by bmoreirish  (2019-05-21 10:08:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It appears our solution is going to be to employ a 4-guard lineup. Sometimes that happens out of necessity, but not great that we are going into the year with that plan. Add onto that the fact that our lone post player is a year removed from a major knee injury. I just think we didn't have to be so thin on the front line.

Sure it could have
by IrishfaninTX  (2019-05-17 20:31:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I think a lot of aspects are to blame for the lack of depth this year. It's rare that 4 starters are all in the same class. That probably scared off a few recruits who wanted immediate playing time and also Jackie still had another year so that didn't help matters. I don't think the staff anticipated Jackie leaving early. Then we had several bigs transfer over the last few years. And a few guards when they didn't get PT. It is what it is but I think they will be better than expected by season's end.

We aren't the 1981-82 Men's Team
by Murcer68  (2019-05-16 20:47:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have more optimism about this year than others. The first few months may see more losses than we are used to, but by the time March rolls around, our coaching staff is too brilliant and the players are far too athletic and intelligent for this year to be a disaster. Based on the last decade, I have faith things will work out.