This is a really good question. I'm stumped.
by drmurray (2019-06-01 12:53:09)

In reply to: Given the National Championship & the return  posted by maverick

It seemed to happen after the 2001 championship as well.

My point exactly we struggled after 2001
by maverick  (2019-06-01 19:23:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You would think the success over the last few years coupled with the players that are going into the WNBA some top picks why can't we get the recruits to make elite 8 & Final 4 every year? We seem to go in spurts and instead of reloading we rebuild which takes time

You must have missed that post I wrote a while back
by cbiebel  (2019-06-02 15:56:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And then reposted.

Basically, the gist of it was that back in 2001 ND had made one Final Four and one NC both with senior laden teams, so it was viewed more as "ND was successful because of how the classes worked out."

Plus the year that ND won the NC, they had a huge class (6 recruits!). That can kill some initial momentum.

Add in that it often takes time to "get in the heads" of recruits, and if you can't stay on top consecutive years, it can look like a "lucky shot" instead of consistent excellence.

BTW, we have "made the elite 8 and Final 4 every year for 8 the last 9 years (and made the Final Four 7 of the last 9 years. For some perspective on that, only 5 programs have more than 5 Final Fours. Not coaches...programs!).

There are still players out there, as Dillon points out. Plus, we've been hit by the transfer bug.

Well, we've made the Final Four 7 of the last 9 years
by Murcer68  (2019-06-01 20:14:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and we've made the Elite 8 8 of the last 9 years, so we have been making the Elite 8 and Final Four every year.

I understand that but
by maverick  (2019-06-01 22:07:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there was a drought after 2001 until Skylar got there then recruiting turned and we went on a run but the post 2001 drought lasted awhile. My concern is we should be a decent team but I just don't want to see another "drought" last a few years

You mean a "drought" after only making the Final Four twice
by cbiebel  (2019-06-03 08:22:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...in ND's history?

Yeah, it turned out that it took a while for McGraw to get a consistent product. And I don't think you realize just how hard it is to get to a Final Four.

Of all the programs out there, only 5 have been to more than 5 Final Fours. UConn, ND, and Stanford have been to them recently. UT's last one was in 2008. La Tech's was in 1999.

There are only 3 other programs that have been to 5 (UGA, Maryland, and LSU)and two others who have been to 4 (Duke and now Baylor).

Quite a few of the "3 Final Four" teams bunched theirs together (and LSU's 5 were all consecutive): Auburn: 1988-90, USC (1983-85), and UVA (1990-92) or had two of their three with many of the same players: UNC (2006-07), ODU (1983, 1985), Oklahoma (2009-10), Purdue (1999, 2001), Texas (1986-87), and W. Kentucky (1985-86).

With the two teams with 4 Final Fours, half of Baylor's came with Griner and half of Duke's came with Beard.

Guess I was just hoping
by maverick  (2019-06-03 09:48:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that we would have landed some more of our top 10 ranked targets. I just don't want them to hit what I considered some rough sledding from the 2001 season thru the 2010 season where in those 9 years we were eliminated in the sweet 16 4 times and didn't get past the 1st or 2nd round the other 5 times. I had hoped we had turned thee corner so to speak and would build off of that 2001 championship which I didn't think we did. I realize how tough it is to make a Final 4. I guess I have been spoiled by the success of the program the last 8 years and was hoping we could continue it. I'm a soon to be 70 year old season ticket holder and at my age one tends to "panic" LOL. Appreciate you & dillons posts along with some others who are really terrific posters.