Ali Patberg granted a sixth year of eligibility
by RISteve (2019-07-05 12:17:52)

I know she is not one of us anymore, but the two years in question occurred at ND. Interesting outcome, since she did appear in 22 games in her last year at ND. Unless I am missing something.

Link, below

She will be in her fifth year of college and third year of
by MPG  (2019-07-05 13:52:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

competition this 2019-20 season. The 2020-21 season will now be her sixth year of college and fourth year of competition. Ali did not play her first year at ND due to her knee injury nor her first year at IU due to transfer rules.

I think 5 to play 4 should be a relatively strict rule.
by NDBass  (2019-07-05 18:01:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think deciding to transfer without some sort of extenuating circumstances warrant breaking that rule. That being said, I think 6th years and transfer year waivers will become more normal as the NCAA tries to avoid any potential legal actions.

It's a financial decision for both player/school & is fair
by Domerduck  (2019-07-06 12:26:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when you consider the investment a player makes to be a student athlete. Rehabbing an injury to continue to play at a division 1 level is as much a full time job as playing with no rewards on the court, just funding for school, the other full time job these college athletes. Having a daughter who lettered 4 years as a division 1 athlete I truly understand what they go through. When one of her teammates was hurt seriously, more often then not, it ended their career. So when a player makes the effort to come back and be at the level where the school wants to grant another year of funding to the student and ask for a waiver it should always be granted, whether a transfer was part of it or not.

I think the NCAA should always grant the waiver for the 6th season if the player only stepped on the court/field for 3 of their 5 years (like Ali) if an injury precluded one of the seasons. Judgment needs to be applied when a 4th year was most cut off due to injury.
Sorry big fish, I have to argue your point. Of course we all can have different opinions.

Gotcha. Thx. Extra year was from her frosh yr at ND *
by RISteve  (2019-07-05 15:19:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post