Jewell/KMac need to shoot better than their ASG performance
by Domerduck (2019-07-28 11:19:57)

In reply to: Looks Like Sky Is In the "Core" Group  posted by dillon77

to make the national team. Our ND players did not show up despite starting. KMac was 5-15, JL even worse at 2-11. Too many 3's jacked up as the two were 5-20. Undrafted Erica Wheeler who played at Rutgers was the best baller, winning the MVP with 25 points and 7 3's, the only all-star to shoot above 50% from 3 point.

Overall I could only watch so much on the replay with the bad shooting except for the many uncontested lay-ups as the game was never really competitive between the two teams. It wasn't good that Wilson couldn't play on her own team she selected.

As a Habit, I Try Not To Watch "All-Star" Games....
by dillon77  (2019-07-28 14:23:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..for long stretches of time because of what it does to very good players: make them pedestrian.

Luckily, K-Mac is having a stellar shooting year in league play thus far. Jewell needs some time to rebound from her sprained ankle.

I don't get why they play the game. *
by Domerduck  (2019-07-28 19:04:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The WNBA All-Star game was worse than the NBA All Star
by NDoggie78  (2019-07-28 17:43:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And that's saying something.
Very little defense played (I'm being generous)
Cambage wanted to show everyone she was a point guard trapped in a big's body - dribbling too much and jacking up 3s. It was pretty much get the ball and shoot.
While Jewell and Kayla shot awful, they did have some good assists in the game. Also 20 of the 26 shots the pair attempted were 3 pointers.
Very hard to tell the relative merits of any player watching that game - the top vote getter - Della Donne - only had 6 points

I watched because of the ND players in the game - I won't watch another All Star game

For a while, the very ends of NBA AS games were very good.
by Jon  (2019-07-28 21:27:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Somewhere in the late 3rd, early 4th they would suddenly get serious. Very competitive. I think Jordan started that.

For a while you would see world class basketball. Defense, sensible passes, everything. It was no longer Harlem Globetrotters, it was, "Ok, now let's really ball!"

The last few games though, not much anymore.