Alasia Hayes announces a NDWBB in her Top 5
by RISteve (2019-07-31 20:14:42)

Another guard...

Per Raoul:

WBB: Top-30 2020 prospect Alasia Hayes, 5-7 PG, Riverdale HS (Murfreesboro, TN), has announced her top five schools: Michigan, Middle Tennessee, North Carolina State, Notre Dame, and Rutgers

I am really worried
by irishdds  (2019-07-31 21:41:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First we wanted Bueckers, and then we wanted, Clark, and then we went further down the list to Kelly. Hayes is not currently on Prospects Nation top 100. This is very frustrating.

I don't really think it's like that
by Orangutan  (2019-07-31 22:41:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Everyone was recruiting Bueckers but UConn was always a favorite there. Since when did we ever get the #1 player in the country?

As far as anyone knows, ND is still in the mix for Clark. Posters on other boards have stated ND is the favorite for Clark.

ND is still in the mix for Kelly and I'd be shocked if she goes anywhere other than ND or Oregon. And Oregon is pretty full on recruits and already signed PaoPao at point guard. They may still take one more PG and Kelly is tight with Prince, but she hasn't committed anywhere yet.

After Nixon transferred out, there are *zero* players who were recruited to play point guard on next years roster. ND could easily take two.

I'm glad to hear that ND is recruiting another option at the position and I don't take it as sign that ND will miss out on others.

Also, it may be the case that ND is in her top 5 but her offer is conditional on ND not signing higher-priority targets.

My question - why not Van Lith?
by NDoggie78  (2019-08-01 14:50:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Supposedly, her height was the issue. Isn't she listed as the same height as Hayes?
I'm sure there could be many more reasons, but it sure didn't "appear" like we went hard after van Lith

Reasonable Question, Particularly After Paige Went Husky
by dillon77  (2019-08-02 09:46:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You sent me back to the recruiting summary/ESPN Hoopgurlz to look at height/ranks/comments on players now being considered for a point-guard slot at ND:

- Caitlin Clark, 6' tall, #4 in ESPN rankings, considered by Olson to be "the consummate playmaker."

- Deja Kelly, 5'8" tall, #19, referred to by Olson as a combo guard.
- Alasia Hayes, 5'7" tall, #28, also referred to by Olson as a combo guard, with props for uptempo playmaking and defending.

and, apparently not under consideration (now, ever?):
- Hailey Van Lith, 5'7" tall, #8, referred to, again, as a combo-guard.

Looking at 2021,
- Olivia Miles, 5'10" tall, #2 ranked overall, referred to as a lead-guard.

If I had to put down some chips, I'd say Clark or Miles would be the shiny coins in that recruiting pool. But as pointed out, the Irish are running short on point-oriented guards. Anaya and/or Kaitlyn are going to have to do some back-up PG for Marta Sniezek this year so will have some experience. That would come in handy if Clark comes aboard to take the reins.

But if Clark goes elsewhere, you have other combo-guards (smaller ones) being considered in 2020, before the focus would, conceivably, swing to Miles in 2021.

So, it's a reasonable question...why now swing for the fences with Van Lith? Maybe there's no mutual interest? Not a good mix?

Kelly has had her moments this spring/summer but I can't see Hayes being the ultimate option for long-term PG, based on everything from performance to the Hayes' sisters affinity for playing together (hello, Middle Tennessee State). Also, will a Hayes really be interested in ND if someone like Miles is brought in next year?

Tells me competition for Clark is very tough and options are being brought into the mix. Cross fingers....

Options
by dillon77  (2019-08-01 08:50:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Like Orangutan and many others, I sure as heck didn't see this coming. The only Hayes we've ever brought up here is Madison Hayes (no relation) and that seemed to come and go. Had no idea we were affiliated with the extended basketball-playing family of which this young PG -- Alasia -- is a part of.

Given how tight ND's recruiting process is, we're certainly not privy to all the players ND is prospecting, but I've got to believe Ms. Hayes' stock went up after Jordan Nixon pulled up her stakes and drove her wagon to College Station.

So, we now know of three guards who play PG in the Class of 2020 that have mutual interest: Hayes, Caitlin Clark and Deja Kelly.
- Clark is still being intensely recruited. Good news is that it's virtually certain she came here in June so interest is there. Still, the in-state schools are pressing very hard and you never know if Oregon might pull one more out of the fire.
- Kelly has a lot of interest here, but there's also Oregon and I've got to think there are other schools to protect herself.
- And I've heard the interest in 2021's Miles is palpable.

As Orangutan said, could the offer to Alasia Hayes (and Kelly, for that matter) be conditional? Very possible.

Weirdly enough, Baba sent me a workout tape of Anaya Peoples the other day and I was astounded by her handle. If that's a back-up option, life could be worse...

BTW, here's a hometown article on Ms. Hayes.

p.s. I'm sure hoping that ND gets/make a definitive move at the PG position sometime soon. It seems like there's been a Pogo-like black cloud (for those of a certain age) or bad karma over it since the Alli Patberg imbroglio. Not pointing any fingers, just thinking things have been off-kilter a bit.

And the fact that our recruiting coordinator/point guard coach is considering going "all the way to Memphis (cue the Mott the Hoople)," makes things even more, hmmm, interesting.

Stay tuned. On a number of fronts.

p.s.s. Let's see who gets scheduled for OV's come September. That will say a lot. Hopefully, there's also some unknown 2020 post/forward, as well.

Impressive use of Mott the Hoople line
by drmurray  (2019-08-01 09:28:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks...One of Their Better Songs...
by dillon77  (2019-08-01 10:26:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..along with "All the Young Dudes."

I take part in a "Question of the Day" contest on weekday mornings to come up with songs that fit in with a theme. Good, early morning brain sharpener. The only trouble is I tend to drop lines from songs into just about anything I'm doing!

That happens when you "carry the news" *
by NDoggie78  (2019-08-01 14:54:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks
by irishdds  (2019-08-01 08:38:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You made me feel a little more positive about things!