Not To Be A Debbie Downer About This, But I Don't See How
by savr27 (2019-07-31 20:45:15)
Edited on 2019-07-31 20:47:15

In reply to: Niele may leave to join the Memphis Grizzlies (link)  posted by SBJIMBO

This move prepares Ivey for a head coach job in women’s basketball. If I understand correctly, she’s being considered to be on the coaching staff of an NBA men’s basketball league. This is much different then being a head coach for a collegiate women’s basketball team. The play and style is different and recruiting is a major component to college basketball. Now, unless Ivey is trying to prepare herself for coaching in the NBA, then yes, this is a great move.

But, if her aspirations is to be a women’s college head coach, then in my opinion, this is a waste. I would have preferred her take a head coaching job in college and comeback to ND as McGraw’s successor. I think Ivey has the potential to be a great college coach and if she does leave, it’s a huge blow to recruiting- she’s one of the best out there as she relates well to the younger generation. Selfishly, I hope she doesn’t get the job - lol

broadens her horizons/possibilities
by Doggie  (2019-08-06 14:13:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guessing that if she wanted to only be a college head coach, she could have been already. If she wants to open avenues into other coaching directions (pro assistant, pro head coach, etc) as well as get exposed to other ideas and knowledge/human networks, this is an excellent move. She does this now and she doesn't get typecast into "women's college coach." And it is also easier to do this now, rather than after having been a college head coach.

She can always return to coaching college basketball, particularly if she does that within 2-4 years especially with her pedigree of having worked for McGraw.

If her aspiration is to be a college head coach...
by Orangutan  (2019-08-02 11:34:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...she would be one already.

There is no lack of interest in Niele. As far as I know she is only interviewing for power-5 jobs. Georgia and Vandy are the two I can recall her being linked most strongly with.

She could get a mid-major head coaching job any offseason she decides she wants one.

I don't think it necessarily prepares her to be a college head coach but she's already well-qualified to do that. If anything, this will raise her profile and make her a more attractive hire to college programs.

Lots of plusses
by NDoggie78  (2019-08-01 08:48:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1) She makes headlines - notoriety won't hurt her (or ND if she returns)
2) She learns a new and faster game from a different perspective - but it's still basketball
3) She learns from a different coach and a different system
4) Talk about learning to manage egos .....
5) If she returns, I can't see how this would hurt her in recruiting - I would think it would help
6) It's a challenge - a woman in a man's game - exactly the thing for which Muffet was an advocate - has to make her stronger

Now I don't want her to go - I actually hoped she would just transition into HC when Muffett called it quits (sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't - UT)

agree *
by drmurray  (2019-08-01 09:29:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post