Source? If True, This Underscores Major Interest ...
by dillon77 (2019-08-18 15:07:38)
Edited on 2019-08-18 17:30:36

In reply to: Allie visiting with Clark and Westbeld. *  posted by BTFNDGUY

... in Clark and Westbeld.

Per MPG's point in his excellent post, one would've thought Clark and/or Westbeld would've been highlighted (even committed) since Marshall said "yes." But it's a sign of each young woman's personality and prestige as a hoopster that they're being courted so assiduously by top notch hoops programs.

Hence, where MM decided to bring in the earliest and most certain verbal commit in the class -- Campbell -- bore watching. And it's not a surprise that she's the closer to the last set of 2020 OV's of the year. All three -- particularly Campbell and Clark -- know each other from National Team camps. And, per MPG, all three strike me as good fits for the whole ND experience.

As for the timing of Kelly and Hayes, at first I also wondered why the pairings were not flip-flopped, given the specter of Clark.
But:
- I'm guessing that a mid-October visit has got to be last or close to last for both CC and Maddy Westbeld, perhaps hoping to catch them with an exclamation point of a visit to South Bend.
- And, MPG raises a point in relation to reporting that ND could take up to 5 players in 2020. I've got to think it would be one, but not both of these players (Kelly or Hayes).
Would this take some sort of conditional offering? Anything's possible, I guess.

However, I've really got to think that Clark is still the primary bulls-eye. She wants a chance to step in and play immediately. As such, any dealings with Kelly and Hayes must be positioned correctly...for all concerned.

BTW, per MPG's note, I went back to view some tape of Kelly. She could play a 2 with a handle, for sure. But couldn't one say the same about Anaya and Katlyn Gilbert?

I'm also not sure they're going to decide where to put Alli until all the 2020 cards fall into place. Maddy is a solid 6'2" and has excellent range plus a growing inside game, which sounds a bit like Sam B. Maybe Alli is more of a Maddie Cable-type of guard?

Lastly, wonder if MM will take any home visits in September to aid, augment and possibly make these OV's the final confirmation of a long process?

In any case, here are the four players MM and staff think can join Alli C and Nat Marshall to fill out the class. They've got to be confident they can all add to the squad. Here's to thinking good thoughts and crossing fingers to moving forward. Hope a few of your faves are included!

p.s. Gosh knows I have mine!

Replies: