Easier?
by goirish01 (2019-09-10 19:42:46)

In reply to: Non-conference schedule out  posted by joeyt28

In 5 of our 12 OOC games we're taking on teams ranked in ESPN's Way-Too-Early Preseason Top 25. That's pretty impressive. I'm not sure there will be many other teams with that difficult of an OOC slate. Maybe UConn and Stanford will have similar-ish level of difficulty? The ranked teams we will play include:
#3 UConn
#16 Minnesota
#18 DePaul
#23 Michigan
#25 Michigan State

Not to mention our conference slate, which will include:
#8 Louisville
#11 Florida State
#15 NC State
#22 Miami

Question - are we currently recruiting any Canadians? Curious about the scheduling of our late December exhibition against University of Guelph...

relative to past years: one "top ten"
by joeyt28  (2019-09-11 13:43:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it's a great schedule for this team with lots of RPI top 25 and 50 games and few dogs. However, there's not a second or third amazing team like there has usually been with UCONN, Tennessee and the other (Oregon State, South Carolina, Iowa, Duke when ND wasn't in ACC, etc.). I expect only one loss and lots of competitive games.

Furthermore, many of the hardest games are at home, except for UCONN.

So, I think it will still have a high SOS degree of difficulty and is an excellent schedule, but I don't there there are as many top 10 teams non-conference as there have usually been.

very tough early season slate
by WaxonWaxoff  (2019-09-11 00:04:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for such a young inexperienced team. Uconn game could get real ugly.

In regard to the Guelph game in December, Latasha
by MPG  (2019-09-10 20:41:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lattimore is a well-regarded prospect from Ontario, a 6-4 forward ranked 16th by PN for 2021. Could the timing of this game and the honor for Natalie Achonwa in November be a signal to her?

Also, the three games in Cancun are against solid teams.

Could Be. Isn't Ace from Guelph, As Well?
by dillon77  (2019-09-11 08:28:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Although I don't know why the University of Guelph would schedule an away exhibition game for a player who didn't go there?

Lattimore, who is #11 in Hoopgurlz btw, sounds a bit like Laeticia Amihere, according to write-ups: very athletic, quick and springy feet, great on defense and rebounding, developing her offensive skill set.

I still get an inkling things went south (no pun intended for South Carolina) with Amihere following her ACL injury and recovery...or what is known of it. I'll be following her closely this year, when she joins forces with Aliyah Boston for the Gamecocks.

Yes, Ace is from Guelph. The December 21 game is an odd
by MPG  (2019-09-11 10:32:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

piece of scheduling, although an exhibition right before Christmas is an easy way to send the players home for the holiday before the ACC schedule begins.

I would like to see ND recruit Lattimore because defense and rebounding are so important and she would arrive during the final year of eligibility for Vaughn and Cosgrove with time to improve her offense.

Right After Exams, Just Before Xmas Break...
by dillon77  (2019-09-11 14:01:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...as you said. Still, can't quite get why Guelph would come here, but I'm sure both teams have their reasons. Yes, the Irish most certainly need (at least) one big in that 2021 class, for the reasons you cite.
And who knows what transfers will be eligible after the 2019-20 season (he added, looking at all options.).

In the meantime, fingers crossed on the (mostly) guard focus of the 2020 class.