Seems ND Staff Attended an Open Gym & Open House (pic)
by dillon77 (2019-09-16 07:58:50)
Edited on 2019-09-16 08:00:52

In reply to: Muffet, Beth, and Michaela visited Alasia Hayes on Thursday.  posted by MPG

at Hayes' Riverdale HS before that and got a nice shout-out from the high school as well. Then, they went on to the house (see link). Smart move to "introduce" Michaela, who will be working with point guards.

Will be interesting to see how many other home/school visits are planned between now and the prospects' respective OV's to ND. If ND staff plans on seeing each prospect before the OV, one would think the next stop is to see Deja Kelly in Texas, particularly since Niele Ivey had done the lion's share of that work. And Kelly and Hayes are due in Sept. 27th.
Tad more time for Westbeld and Clark (Oct. 11).

Hayes
by irishdds  (2019-09-16 10:31:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seems not as highly regarded as others. Bothers me that Vols aren’t after het

Tennessee
by Orangutan  (2019-09-16 12:00:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Olders sister Anastasia was dismissed from the Lady Vols for violations of team rules.

After that happened, her mother stated that none of her daughters would go to Tennessee.

Thanks! *
by irishdds  (2019-09-16 14:57:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Could Olson's HoopGurlz evaluation have anything to do with
by sixtythreer  (2019-09-16 10:43:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Muffet's interest? "A thief on defense, reads passing lanes and converts plays from turnovers ...."
Do you suppose Muffet sees the same thing?

Re: Vols, Hayes Playing Style
by dillon77  (2019-09-16 11:31:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

- I highly doubt you'll see any mutual interest between Tennessee and the Hayes family after older sister went to UT, shared time at the point with Evina Westbrook as a frosh, then left -- dismissed? -- as Westbrook was kept being the starter. Hayes is now enrolled at Middle Tennessee and after a year off will begin playing in 2019-20. So, it's not a surprise that MT is on the finalist lists, not the Vols (long history between MT's coaches and the Hayes family).

- Yes, I'm sure the Hoopgurlz write-ups were interesting to MM. While she won a championship with a scoring offense and zone defense, she sure seems to want to get back to her (favored?) tough man-to-man defense and Hayes seems to be the kind of player for that approach.

- Interestingly, she's listed as a combo guard, much like Kelly. Also intestingly, they're both shorter than Caitlin Clark who is listed as a point guard first and foremost. I (still) can't help but think Clark is Option 1 at PG.

Yes, I agree that Caitlin is the #1 choice at point guard.
by MPG  (2019-09-16 14:12:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND would probably take either Hayes or Kelly as a combo guard, if one of them chose ND. Both seem ready to take all five of their official visits. I believe that Alasia will have two sisters at Middle Tennessee this season, so they are a strong option for her.

Speaking of Caitlin, I wonder if she took an offical visit to watch the Iowa vs. Iowa State football game?

Wouldn't the "point guard" be just one moving part
by CKDexterHaven  (2019-09-17 10:01:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in a Princeton offense? If Caitlin Clark and either Hayes or Deja Kelly were all on the floor together, it would seem that all of Caitlin's point guard skills would still come into play (and so much the better for the overall functioning of the offensive scheme). It may not matter so much that more than one "point guard" is being recruited.

Yes.
by ndbutch  (2019-09-17 11:05:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lindsay Allen was the last real pass first "PG". Even Diggens played off the ball a lot during her time at ND. I believe the fear is someone is going to be "scared off" because Clark says she wants to play right away. Nothing about the past 8 seasons should prevent the Irish from selling early playing time. 2012-13 had 8 guard/wings on the roster. 6 of them played quite a lot despite 3 future WNBA #1 picks.

I believe that Muffet still prefers having a clear floor
by MPG  (2019-09-17 14:57:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

leader and primary ballhandler. This is why she brought in Marta Sniezek this season and Lili Thompson two years ago after Ali Patberg was struggling. She was also quick to replace Jenna Brown with Jordan Nixon for the 2018 entering class.

My guess is that Muffet would like Caitlin Clark to have a four year run just as Lindsay Allen did. If she stays in Iowa, then it is on to Olivia Miles or Ari Wiggins for the 2021 recruiting cycle with some combination of combo guards as the primary ballhandlers for the 2020-21 season.

I don't believe that Clark is similar to Lindsay Allen.
by ndbutch  (2019-09-18 11:05:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Much more of an offensive player and that's going to be needed because there isn't a Kayla McBride, Jewel Loyd or Achonwa waiting on her. At least not yet. This spin that there's an open PG spot somehow waiting for her is an overreaction to the young lady saying that she wants to play right away. IMO. That's an attitude you want. Claiming that somehow Hayes or Kelly (also combo guards IMO) are Plan B is right along with believing ND wasn't serious about Malu Tshitenge-Mutombo because that's what us stargazers wanted to believe with Aliyah Boston in the mix. A four year run? What do you tell Olivia Miles?

At some point it reaches critical mass and you get an Erin Boley, Megan Walker, Evina Westbrook situation (let's hope). ND isn't back there yet.

Caitlin Clark is a different player than Lindsay Allen with
by MPG  (2019-09-18 14:54:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

more size, greater shooting range, and a more aggressive approach to scoring. Nevertheless, the reports on her AAU games emphasize her playmaking more than her scoring. In her high school games, she needs to be a high volume shooter. If she chooses ND, I am guessing that Muffet's signing day comments will emphasize Caitlin's attributes as a floor leader and playmaker. Let's hope that she chooses ND and then we can read Muffet's outlook for Caitlin.

Agree on All Aspects
by dillon77  (2019-09-17 17:41:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If CC does not come, expect Anaya Peoples to become lead guard, as Marina would put it.

Iowa vs ISU Would Address 2 Choices at Once...
by dillon77  (2019-09-16 16:01:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...but she's probably been to either campus multiple times.

Just hope we keep pressing on multiple fronts...