Yes.
by ndbutch (2019-09-17 11:05:26)
Edited on 2019-09-17 11:06:38

In reply to: Wouldn't the "point guard" be just one moving part  posted by CKDexterHaven

Lindsay Allen was the last real pass first "PG". Even Diggens played off the ball a lot during her time at ND. I believe the fear is someone is going to be "scared off" because Clark says she wants to play right away. Nothing about the past 8 seasons should prevent the Irish from selling early playing time. 2012-13 had 8 guard/wings on the roster. 6 of them played quite a lot despite 3 future WNBA #1 picks.

I believe that Muffet still prefers having a clear floor
by MPG  (2019-09-17 14:57:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

leader and primary ballhandler. This is why she brought in Marta Sniezek this season and Lili Thompson two years ago after Ali Patberg was struggling. She was also quick to replace Jenna Brown with Jordan Nixon for the 2018 entering class.

My guess is that Muffet would like Caitlin Clark to have a four year run just as Lindsay Allen did. If she stays in Iowa, then it is on to Olivia Miles or Ari Wiggins for the 2021 recruiting cycle with some combination of combo guards as the primary ballhandlers for the 2020-21 season.

I don't believe that Clark is similar to Lindsay Allen.
by ndbutch  (2019-09-18 11:05:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Much more of an offensive player and that's going to be needed because there isn't a Kayla McBride, Jewel Loyd or Achonwa waiting on her. At least not yet. This spin that there's an open PG spot somehow waiting for her is an overreaction to the young lady saying that she wants to play right away. IMO. That's an attitude you want. Claiming that somehow Hayes or Kelly (also combo guards IMO) are Plan B is right along with believing ND wasn't serious about Malu Tshitenge-Mutombo because that's what us stargazers wanted to believe with Aliyah Boston in the mix. A four year run? What do you tell Olivia Miles?

At some point it reaches critical mass and you get an Erin Boley, Megan Walker, Evina Westbrook situation (let's hope). ND isn't back there yet.

Caitlin Clark is a different player than Lindsay Allen with
by MPG  (2019-09-18 14:54:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

more size, greater shooting range, and a more aggressive approach to scoring. Nevertheless, the reports on her AAU games emphasize her playmaking more than her scoring. In her high school games, she needs to be a high volume shooter. If she chooses ND, I am guessing that Muffet's signing day comments will emphasize Caitlin's attributes as a floor leader and playmaker. Let's hope that she chooses ND and then we can read Muffet's outlook for Caitlin.

Agree on All Aspects
by dillon77  (2019-09-17 17:41:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If CC does not come, expect Anaya Peoples to become lead guard, as Marina would put it.