253 points returning...
by Slotts (2019-09-30 15:55:03)

Vaughn - 125
Prohaska - 58
Cosgrove -37
Gilbert - 25
Benz - 8

Scary, but exciting. All kinds of possibilities. Can't wait. *
by Jon  (2019-10-01 11:04:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our Opponents Don't Know
by hempfield75  (2019-09-30 20:20:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Five knew starters could be to our advantage. Especially, at first. Who
ever we go against. They also do not know what we have and how to prepare
for us. I think our new starting 5 are in a great position to make a first
great and defining start to their careers at Notre Dame. Could this 5 be
the new darlings in NDWBB. We will see soon enough. I am excited and can
not wait for November 5th. History is yours for the making.

SEG/Chief

It hard to score points if you sit out the season with an
by sixtythreer  (2019-09-30 16:31:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

injury and/or when you are playing behind and defer to five All-Americans. They'll get 253 points in the first 3 games, or darn close.

I wouldn't be too sure about that
by cbiebel  (2019-09-30 20:31:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The whole "averaging 80 ppg" thing really only started about 7 years ago, and ND hasn't had a serious graduation loss like we just had in that time period.

Remember when McGraw talked about "emphasizing defense?" The last time she talked about that so much, particularly after losing a lot of seniors, was after 2001. From 2000-01 to 2008-09 ND averaged over 72 ppg just once (76.2 ppg in 2007-08). In those 10 seasons ND averaged scoring in the 60s six times. The first time ND averaged over 70 ppg after the 2001 season (when, BTW, they averaged 65.4 ppg) was 2006-07, and they averaged just 70.1 ppg that season. So ND had 6 straight seasons when the season averaged scoring was in the 60s.

Don't get me wrong. While I do believe that experience is very important and a higher predictor of success, ND can have the talent to win a ton this year (or it could be a rebuilding year). However, I wouldn't hold my breath about them doing it with tons of scoring. ND will be winning with defense.

I would be pleased with 73 ppg this season. Strong perimeter
by MPG  (2019-09-30 22:54:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

defense can help create some transition offense. Without that element working, this team could be straining to reach 70 in most games.

This season will start with unproven players needing to make significant contributions on both ends of the court. Let's hope that the two transfers stay well and provide a steadying influence.

The OP's point is well-taken.
by SorinBasement  (2019-09-30 19:35:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's going to take a while before we know what we've got this year.

Great point! I hope that you're right!* *
by traditionnevergraduates  (2019-09-30 16:45:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post