MV is the most absolute starter we have. Lower body
by btd (2020-02-23 14:21:14)
Edited on 2020-02-23 14:22:05

In reply to: Maybe overly based on the VT game  posted by NDLAW88

Strength is the cause of what you are seeing. That’s because she has not been allowed to workout that area for 2+ years. That will change during the off-season. With strong legs she has mobility and can hold her ground again - killing off your observations.

She’s the only true forward on the team next season. Nat will sit out a season recovering. The other freshman forward is a project. Emergency use next season. DC is not a forward. Maddie also isn’t a forward. Maddie is another Sam - which Is good.

Why will this offseason be different?
by NDLAW88  (2020-02-23 14:26:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She was supposedly working all offseason this year to strengthen her legs. The ACCN preview about ND showed her working diligently in the weight room and promoted her as a player to watch. And then she was injured very early in the season. I hope she can overcome this but she's currently a junior and she has battled injuries all 3 years - I'm not sure that she will ever be able to overcome it. Believe me, I hope I'm wrong

"and then she was injured". You answered your own
by BTD  (2020-02-23 17:47:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

question. That injury erased anything she did prior to the injury -- and actually took her backwards because she has not recovered from the injury. She is playing injured right now -- and that's why she can't run, jump or use her legs at all to hold her position on the floor.

So, the reason it would be different is "if she isn't injured between now and next season" she won't have leg issues. She actually did not have them at the start of this season -- literally those first 2 quarters before she got injured (she had 16 points I think). Instead of rounding into form and adding to her leg strength -- it all was blown up.

MM Agrees on Mik: "Playing on One Leg"
by dillon77  (2020-02-24 07:49:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In her presser, MM said Mik is, in effect, playing on one leg and "giving it everything she's got" (or something to that effect). Hopefully, she'll be able to get back to where she was pre-Fordham.

I was at the Fordham game and she looked very strong and energetic before going down in the third quarter.

Injuries have been problematic for Mik and the team. However, if she can come back to the Fordham status, the Irish will most certainly have a starter. My one caveat is that they play her more at the low post -- a la Bri -- where she can go straight to the hoop, as she did at the end of the Syracuse game.

One minor disagreement: I don't think Maddy Westbeld is the same player as Sam. Yes, she's 6'2" (or 6'3" depending on what you read) and can shoot from distance. However, in the early season tournament games I watched her (against solid teams), she was very at home at the top of the key and in the paint. She's got an understated toughness about her (like Kat) to get rebounds and get her shot off inside. Plus...and this is why I think she's made for positioning at the elbow -- her vision and calm is top-rate for a HS senior. The Irish are missing that now.

Good points. I saw her face to face in S dining hall
by btd  (2020-02-24 21:12:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She is very strongly built and all of 6'2". I am 6'2.5" and stood less than 1' from her that day. She was every bit as tall as I am and she was build like a college senior. I haven't seen her play, but hope you are right. Offensively, we are at our best when we can fill that spot -- and we couldn't last year or this year. Last year we stumbled around until MM stopped trying to force it and moved on to what the team could do.

If she can fill that spot, she will be a starter down the stretch next season. She's in a pool of one at that position -- and then can also be the sub for Sam for MV.

Sam in particular will do a lot more damage if there is someone at the foul line that can't be left alone and also can't be guarded by anyone under 6'.