I think you are vastly underrating Abby. Only 4-8 minutes?
by Fighting_Artichoke (2020-02-23 14:36:19)
Edited on 2020-02-23 14:37:15

In reply to: Walker and MV should be a lot different players  posted by btd

She played in 38 games, averaging 14.4 minutes/game during her freshman year. You think she'll suffer that vast decline in minutes? I don't.

I do. Why?
by btd  (2020-02-23 17:42:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because her freshman year she was the only viable sub we had to put in a game. She didn't need to have any offense at all given the other players we had. She was there for defensive minutes and do "do no harm" when others were in foul trouble.

We don't have those other players now and she is part of a 5 player pool of subs -- 4 of which on paper have dramatically better scoring potential than she does and one plays a different position.

At the guard position, Hayes is a PG -- that is a unique path for those minutes. At the other guard positions you have Sam and Maddie alternating at the stretch position and then Gilbert, Anaya, Walker and Campbell that are in the same pool as Abby. She is the odd one out of that pool of players except for the unique situations where a defensive only player is required (ends of quarters, to limit a very specific player, etc). It amounts to 4-8 minutes per game IMO.

The only way she is going to get more than that is if the rest of that pool turns out to be exceptionally bad -- which isn't going to happen given 3 of them are returning players we know a lot about. AC may not pan out quickly -- which would be a different issue -- which would add 4-6 minutes onto the pile for Abby most likely. If AH is incapable of playing PG at all, then AC will slide to that role more and open a door for more minutes for Abby.

Agree
by ram  (2020-02-23 16:41:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But it will vary more than any other a la HH. One game 20-25, 5 the next. More dependent on opposition & her teammates play in a particular game more than herself.

We aren't too far apart
by btd  (2020-02-23 17:52:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You say 20 minutes one game, 4 the next. An average of 12. I say an average of 4-8 with a similar theory that it may be 0-4 and 8-12 other games.

A lot depends on if other players actually can score and not be a net negative from the same pool she's in. The rest depends on game to game foul situation on those other players and whether the other team as a very specific guard that is lighting us up and needs to be handled 1:1 like Brey does with Rex. She will play more those games because of her unique defensive skills and if she can hold an 18 pt scorer down to 9 and throw their offense out of whack as a result it is likely enough to offset her offensive issues.

Another wildcard is if she somehow becomes a 10 ppg player -- but I think that's unlikely. In effect if she shows that she is the same offensive player as the others.

agree *
by ram  (2020-02-24 09:28:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nor do I. *
by Slotts  (2020-02-23 15:48:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post