A Few Takeaways from the Latest MM Show
by dillon77 (2020-02-25 11:07:50)

FROM KAYLA MCBRIDE

-- Takikng off the international season was "for her," which she has not been able to do since graduating in 2014. She realizes that her basketball window is a small time frame, but just felt she needed it.

She still, however, is able to work out (her personal trainer is in South Bend), play on the U.S. National Team and be close to the game (via ND).

-- MM wishes the NCAA would let former players like K-Mac be allowed to have more contact with current players on the floor. Still, she thinks K-Mac would make a great coach if she so desires.

-- K-Mac's youngest sister is an eighth grader in Erie, getting ready for the state playoffs. She, too, is "a hooper" and a lefty.

-- While numerous laughs were had about whether Dallas or Arike are ready for Marina's arrival, Kayla surprised everyone and said she would've like to have played ball with Marina on her team. Marina is the kind of player you hate to play against but love to have on your team.

KATIE COLE

-- Will graduate this year and take a gap year. She'll start to apply to med schools in the fall and hopes to be an orthopedic surgeon. Still.

-- Calls these last few years "surreal" and "doesn not know what it would've been like without becoming part of the team."

-- MM calls her "Cole" and Sam Brunelle refers to her as "my older sister." She and Destinee Walker seem to get along very well, too.

DESTINEE WALKER

-- Said the transition to ND was minimal, in part because she was so welcomed. Loves it here and is hoping like crazy to get another year. And MM is very much hoping for it. "We don't know where we'd be without you," she said.

-- Apparently, she'd the fashionista of the team although credit for hair styling also goes to Marta (had to pass along for those interested in such styles).

-- She, too, wants to get into sports broadcasting, much like Sam Brunelle, who already has her "Sam's Saloon" segment on the show. Brunelle brings so much enthusiasm that she could make the menu seem enlivening.

NORTH CAROLINA

-- Referenced Courtney Banghart's record at Princeton and thinks (Janelle) Baily will be a handle for Mik Vaughn. Also said they have some good three pointers.

-- Happy with the team's recent performance on the road, the last-second loss at BC notwithstanding.

Thx for recap. I usually watch, but had a conflict. *
by RISteve  (2020-02-25 11:28:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You may still watch.
by BabaGhanouj  (2020-02-25 11:59:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Go to ND WBB —> Recruits —> WBB Team on Twitter —> scroll down to the show.

Thx. Will check out. *
by RISteve  (2020-02-25 18:08:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Any sense of adjustment to her new reality?
by NDLAW88  (2020-02-25 11:15:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seems to me that Muffet has come up with a (for her) zen approach to this season. Had they suffered a loss similar to BC at the beginning of the year, I'm not sure that Muffet would have ever overcome it. Now, it seems she's taking the long term approach and recognizing/appreciating growth and stolen victories when and where they come.

There Seems To Be a Realization...
by dillon77  (2020-02-25 12:47:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...of just what she, the coaching staff and the playrs are all up against. To some degree, having Kayla and Michaela around are evidence of what it took to build up the level the Irish were at. It wasn't a -- look who we recruited, we're here! type of deal. It was more of building class upon class and getting to that level.

She referenced that with the "most people don't know how hard it is to get to the level we were at for 7 or so years." I swear I wanted to raise my hand and say, "...is that why it was so hard to substitute out, even though you know you'd win these games? That you had worked so hard to get to his level of excellence it was hard to accept anything less?"

Believe it or not, I think she might actually answer that question now. She acknoweldged having no upperclassmen or mentors to help calm everyone down, show the way or take the last shot is hard. And even with the new recruits coming in next year, she cited a couple of years before expecting to get to the Final Four again.

I still think she's pushing hard, but has realized you've got to win -- and lose -- a lot of battles before you win the war.

Thought everyone looked upbeat, save Katie, who I think is a bit sad the gig is up.

Most importantly
by ram  (2020-02-26 13:28:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The team seems to be sticking together. That was my main concern as the losses mounted. Nothing sucks like enduring a losing season (esp when Wins used to come so easily). I am very optimistic about their future. Individually, I think they all busted their butts and that hurt them at times, collectively. But I never saw finger pointing or lack of effort.

Seem to be running offense better too
by SixShutouts66  (2020-02-26 14:26:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe that the offense needs an experienced core group to run, and we looked lost for parts of the season. One of my hopes was that the team started to get it to lay the foundation for next year. Lately we've seen a number of good passes for easy shots, cuts away from the ball, and less shot clock violations/horrible shots. Some of that is due to the return of Mik, growth of Sam as an excellent passer, and cuts by Destinee.

Hopefully we continue to reduce the turnovers 30 feet from the basket tht PLAGUE US.

The Future
by hempfield75  (2020-02-26 15:22:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I truly believe that next year and later. We have at least 3 players on
the current team that will reach some level of All American status and
maybe a 4th. With a good off season, a season without a boat load of
injuries and the incoming freshman. I believe this team will surprise
a lot of people. Remember everyone of these girls are use to winning. They
will do what ever to put this season out of their minds. I really like
DWs game. After she knocked off 2 years of rust she showed what she is
capable of, what UNC lost. Could you imagine if we would have had her for
4 years without injuries. I want to thank Marta and DW for transferring to
ND. They really gave a lot to the program this year. Could you imagine
if we would not have had them this year. Two more games and hopefully a
run in the ACC Tournament. They will not be a 1 and done team. They we
can focus on recruiting and get ready for next year. I want to thank
the entire board for a great year of insight, loyalty and interesting and
fun posts. Thanks Guys and Ladies.

SEG/Chief

SEG/Chief: Good To See You Again
by dillon77  (2020-02-27 20:06:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...hadn't seen a post from you in a bit. Hope you're doing ok.

I think MM has chilled a bit and with that, the team is taking one step at a time and moving forward. Very much looking forward to next year.

Once again, good to see you on the board again. Let's Go Irish!

Thaks Dillon
by hempfield75  (2020-02-27 21:28:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Been busy in my little Man Cave and making some visits to people that
keep telling me I will be on this planet a while. They are always full of
yuky news. But still following the girls even with my computer problems.
Even my computer was against me. But I am really excited about this team
and recruiting. My unofficial gut tells me we are going to do well
with the 2021 recruiting. This current team is really majoring and looks
like they are having fun on the court. Even MM looks more relaxed. Maybe
her communications with Coach Williams has helped her. I think this ND
team will be very dangerous in the ACC tournament. They will not be 1
and done. There is a lot of good teams in the ACC to give Louisville a
run for their money. DO NOT COUNT OUT THE IRISH. It will be a teams
big mistake. Next years teams will be very good and fun to watch. They
want to run. Atleast a sweet 16 team next year. These girls have really
matured and will only get better. Plus the addition of the great
incoming freshman class will be the glue to get this team rolling. I am
also anxious about the 2022 recruiting. A lot of great local players
we should be pulling in to compliment the possible great 2021 class I
am really excited about the future of NDWBB. I also am really happy
to see a more calm MM on the sidelines. I also think that has helped
the team. The games I have seen she seems to be teaching more than
finger pointing. The same with the other coaches. They all have done
a great job with what they we handed. Good Job and Thank You to this
years NDWBB players, coaches and support team for doing a great job
on keeping these girls together and bringing the forward. Well Done
Irish Well Done. Once again a well done to this board of providing the
great info, updates, happenings and great opinions and positive
feelings on this team. Well Done Irish Fans Well Done and Thank You
from the Great NW.

Dang I should be back in PA.

SEG/Scott

And Thx for Your Upbeatness. Keep Your Faith, Mi Amigo! *
by dillon77  (2020-02-28 15:28:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post