There Seems To Be a Realization...
by dillon77 (2020-02-25 12:47:28)

In reply to: Any sense of adjustment to her new reality?  posted by NDLAW88

...of just what she, the coaching staff and the playrs are all up against. To some degree, having Kayla and Michaela around are evidence of what it took to build up the level the Irish were at. It wasn't a -- look who we recruited, we're here! type of deal. It was more of building class upon class and getting to that level.

She referenced that with the "most people don't know how hard it is to get to the level we were at for 7 or so years." I swear I wanted to raise my hand and say, "...is that why it was so hard to substitute out, even though you know you'd win these games? That you had worked so hard to get to his level of excellence it was hard to accept anything less?"

Believe it or not, I think she might actually answer that question now. She acknoweldged having no upperclassmen or mentors to help calm everyone down, show the way or take the last shot is hard. And even with the new recruits coming in next year, she cited a couple of years before expecting to get to the Final Four again.

I still think she's pushing hard, but has realized you've got to win -- and lose -- a lot of battles before you win the war.

Thought everyone looked upbeat, save Katie, who I think is a bit sad the gig is up.

Replies: