A PA newspaper article focused on Alli and Niele. Worthwhile
by MPG (2020-05-09 12:54:28)

Alli Campbell
by BabaGhanouj  (2020-05-09 17:16:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

may have been disturbed more than any other by Muffet’s retirement. They seem to be kindred spirits in the sense that they both talked about looking for perfection. That creates a lot of stress, especially in the imprecise sport of basketball. Alli loves math because she can get perfectly correct answers.

Niele is the opposite. I don’t think she ever thinks that the object in basketball is perfection, but the battle itself. She likes the contest (unlike Muffet who hated game day), and the human struggle. One reason I think the two coaches got along so well was that they saw how different they both were, but with the same passion.

The dynamic between Alli and Niele will be fun to watch. Hopefully, Niele’s compassion, dedication, and passion will win Alli over.

Alli was PA player of the year as a sophomore. She has grown tremendously since then. Everyone matures at their own rate. Alli has matured much since her sophomore year. Yet, as Niele says, the weight room will be crucial to Alli’s development. We know Alli has that burning desire to succeed.

Here is my favorite picture of Alli, alongside Sam. Could anyone guess at the time that they were only 1 year apart?

I don’t think you meant this the way I read it
by NOBBYDOMER  (2020-05-10 09:42:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The line about Niele’s “compassion”. It implies being less demanding of excellence and BBall knowledge. It goes without saying by everyone on this board (and definitely you) that Niele knows basketball and her love of competition will result in a great deal of aggressive, in your face basketball.
At the risk, again of being pilloried, I think too much focus on ‘perfection’ if it results of being yanked from the game for making a mistake or being yipped at on the bench has a negative affect on performance. And, I’m not talking here about a general refusal by a player to demonstrate effort, teamwork, composure, etc. I’m not worried about Allie. And, I think recruiting already has benefitted by everything about Niele.

You're right. I used the wrong word.
by BabaGhanouj  (2020-05-10 10:09:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How about "personal charisma"?

Plus, I agree with you on the focus on 'perfection'. I'll stand beside you for any pillorying. I'm sure if I sat down with Muffet and talked about her focus on 'perfection' it would be understandable, but I agree. It was the one phrase I found curious, as in "we want to give Muffet her 'perfect' game." I didn't know what it meant.

Wow those two look 5 years apart in age. *
by Homeboy73  (2020-05-09 19:10:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for the picture and commentary! *
by MPG  (2020-05-09 18:18:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great stuff. Thanks. *
by 2Domer  (2020-05-09 18:13:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She Can Do Equations with Sonia C., Another Math Lover
by dillon77  (2020-05-09 17:22:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On the other other hand, Olivia Miles' Favorite class is English, because her teacher is passionate about teaching and making class fun.

Another complementary relationship? Stay tuned! (Just glad it will happen at ND!)

Good Read, Indeed, from the "Go- To" Paper for Alli...
by dillon77  (2020-05-09 15:20:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...the Altoona Mirror (gosh knows how many articles I've read of theirs over the years!). Two quotes stand out:

From Niele:

“I think she’s (Alli) the perfect fit, and I’ve always felt that way,” Ivey said. “When she said ‘yes’ it was a breath of fresh air. Outside of her amazing athletic talent, she’s a sharpshooter, which is something we need. She has the capability of being a scoring threat, and I love her as a person. She’s high character and has the values to be a perfect Notre Dame fit. She’s a tremendous student with a great family.”

(Dillon druthers: Like it when a coach uses the word sharpshooter.)

From Alli:

"..But I have been working hard every day with ball-handling and shooting when I can. I’ve been doing strength workouts, trying to get quicker, anything I can do to be ready when I’m out there. I know it’s going to be tough, and I want to be as well prepared as possible so I can make an impact.”

Look forward to these two working together.