Say goodbye to Michaela Mabrey and hello to experience *
by CharlesT (2020-05-13 15:57:50)

In reply to: Coquese  posted by Mike

This user did not provide content for this post

??? Do You Know Who Is Staying or Going?
by dillon77  (2020-05-13 18:34:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mabrey or Cunningham?

Seems to be a strong opinion by a number of posters that it's Cunningham, due to elements ranging from she has not been on her ND twitter since April 27 to the fact that the posting was for an associate head coach.

Now, yes, ND could hire a third associate head coach, in part, because they probably are not paying Niele anywhere near what they paid MM. However, given the COVID-19 crisis and financial considerations brought by that, you've got to think that two associate head coaches are enough.

Plus, not such a bad idea to have someone who is close(r) in age to your players. Yes, Niele is enthusiastic and relatable, but she's still in her early 40s. Mike is in her mid-20's. Still.

If you know something we don't, look foward to it.

Otherwise, stay tuned.

Earlier this week, Michaela was supporting the recruitment
by MPG  (2020-05-13 22:56:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of managers for the team on twitter. This and other evidence already cited regarding Beth and Coquese leads me to believe that Michaela is staying as an assistant coach. As Bob Dylan once sang, "You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."

Four things come to mind.....
by CharlesT  (2020-05-13 20:24:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1). The posting says “ Assist the Head Coach and Associate Head Coaches with all facets of administering a Division I program.“ the plural associate head coaches would lead me to believe Beth and Carol are staying. 2). The posting says coordinate the recruiting efforts - which was a central part of Mike’s job. 3) neither Carol or Beth coach pg/g and Coquese is certainly a pg/g position coach. 4) one of the things missing in 2019/2020 season was a strong assistant who could prep the scout team and provide in game adjustment suggestions.

Not what's happening *
by Mike  (2020-05-14 09:56:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe “Mike” is really Michaela???? Lol *
by CharlesT  (2020-05-14 15:24:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then please enlighten us!!! *
by Slotts  (2020-05-14 11:12:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't hold your breath
by SB Jimbo  (2020-05-14 13:42:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He comes off as someone who's on the inside, but he never backs up his posts when challenged.

Not saying he doesn't have connections, but his drive-by 1 liners make him come off as a small fish in a big pond.

CharlesT
by Mike  (2020-05-14 14:18:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Original post from Charles said both Beth and Co are staying. That's not happening. All i said.

Thx for Your Reasoning.
by dillon77  (2020-05-14 09:12:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I imagine we can all find some tea leaves and read them in such a way that we have different takeaways.

1) I'll give you the plural of "associate head coaches." Unless that's a typo, point taken.

But I can't see what one gets out of having three Assc. Head Coaches, all of whom have been HC's (from a pychological standpoint, I'd go nuts).

2) I reread the recruiting portion: "Identify and evaluate prospective student-athletes. Assist in the coordination of recruiting activities for program." That sounds like she's part of the overall effort, as opposed to Beth "spearheading" or Michaela "coordinating." The other open question here is how Niele addresses recruiting her first few years. She likes to recruit and realizes how important she -- Niele -- is to this effort. Maybe everyone helps, with Niele as focal point?

3) We're in agreement on position coach and it does not matter who stays: Coquese can coach PG's. Mike -- who did fine with Anaya and Katlyn -- can swing over to wings easily and obviously Beth could stay there.

4) Hmmm. Shouldn't all coaches contribute to that? In Beth's bio, she's credited with developing scouting reports and practice plans, while "she’s really good on the bench during timeouts with comments and suggestions we can use,” according to MM.

MM on Mike: “I’ve been amazed with how she can break down film and do a scouting report. She can recruit with anybody, and against anybody, because she has that innate ability to relate to the players and the parents."

Theoretically, Coquese does all of these things, as well.

Other factors:

- Seenms good to have a "young 'un" there to do the little things that pop up everywhere. Plus, hop on a plane on a moment's notice. And relate to kids, which Mike can do. Plus, MM has always hired younger coaches, such as Niele Ivey and, oh yeah, Coquese, before that.

- As Orangutan and MPG have pointed out, social media can give hints. Since late April, Beth is nowhere to be found on her twitter. MM is busy as ever, with tweents on program elements (manager), alum interaction (Arike) and personal notes that jive with ND (mother's day).

- Who knows? We'll find out soon enough. One other thought (albeit a long shot). Niele isn't making what MM did. So theoretically, if Niele wanted three assc. head coaches, she could pay for Coquese to join Beth and Carol. Maybe, Niele would also want to have a Director of Player Recruitment and Retention? Many schools are developing these roles, recognizing how important it is to stay with a player from propsect to grad. Mike seems a natural.

I like your last paragraph - keeping existing staff
by NDoggie78  (2020-05-14 10:20:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As you say, ND can probably afford as Niele is probably not - yet - getting Muffet money (and of course there is money coming from outside ND to pay coaches)

Add Coquese for all the reasons mentione, move Mike to Recruiting coordinator (or whatever you name the position). I know there are rules to what "coaches" can do and whatever other staff can do, but it's definitely a group effort.

Is it possible that they would keep Michaela
by NDLOVE42  (2020-05-13 18:39:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on in some other position if in fact she is the one that's out? She is after all one of Niele's girls!

Hmm. See Last Point in My Post Just Above.....
by dillon77  (2020-05-14 09:13:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No postion that was in existence, but maybe one that other program use...