Agree. You Can Add Ace To That List...
by dillon77 (2020-06-08 10:25:11)
Edited on 2020-06-08 16:11:13

In reply to: There isn't a must-have type of point guard  posted by Kayo

Natalie Achonwa was a marvelous decision maker with the ball: she knew when to shoot the J, drive or distribute. Jewell Loyd called her "amazing" and "loved" playing with her.

When ND uses its Princeton offense, the high post position is often as important as the point guard. It's the center of all the moving spokes and the person playing it can make the determination as to where the ball goes: cutting guards, spot-up shooters, etc. The high post in the Princeton is often the flow-master. Ace and Kat, as Kayo, points out had a good handle on it.

And I'd argue that Shep, when she wasn't knocking people out of the lane, was a great distributor as well. Remember her kick-out pass to Marina in the Miss. State game? Crucial!

I wasn't overwhelmed with Mik Vaughn having her back to the basket out by the elbow and thought that greatly limited the mobility of the overall offense. Mik is best positioned down low, a la Bri Turner.
I wouldn't be surprised to see if Maddy Westbeld is tried at the high post.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also agree that a point does not have to be a Tiny Archibald or Big O.
Niele, Lindsay, Marina/Jackie all had variations on it that ultimately worked.

They've got to have a good feel for the game situation, what the opponent is doing, what her team can do best against it and then orchestrate it.
Sometimes it's pretty direct (hey, get it to Bri). Other times, it's part of the plan (Princeton, get it to the high post). Or work a pick and roll.

I expect Niele to have some ideas depending on personnel strengths, both individually and collectively. And in 2021, I expect Olivia Miles to be able to do just about any of them. That's why Niele wanted her so much.

Replies: