The FBS schools will try their best to have a fall football
by MPG (2020-07-08 22:51:44)
Edited on 2020-07-09 09:57:41

In reply to: Ivy League Shelves Sports Until At Least January  posted by dillon77

season. Other fall sports will probably be cancelled soon. The last time I checked, und.com had no schedules posted for any fall sports except football. The Ivy League has no football influence, but their presidents tend to set the national agenda for other university presidents, including Power Five presidents in the ACC, Big Ten, and PAC Twelve.

I expect an attempt will be made to go with conference basketball beginning after Christmas. If the dreaded, stronger, second round of the virus appears in the winter, then there will likely be no collegiate sports for the winter and spring. All we can do for now is root for some vaccine and treatment breakthroughs and against the more agressive second round of the virus.

We don't know that we will have a second round
by BIG MAC  (2020-07-09 12:23:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nor do we know that it will be more aggressive. We could have a second round and it could mutate to a deadlier strain, but it could (more likely, actually)mutate to a milder strain. We could see sub-pandemic levels, or only regional flareups. The virus could , almost mysteriously, disappear. We simply don't know.

Of course nothing is 'knowable' in the sense that we can
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2020-07-09 14:08:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

predict the future. But we can make probabilistic statements based on our understandings of public health, epidemiology, human behavior and political leadership. And the possibility of the virus disappearing on its own or the possibility of there NOT being a second wave are both possibilities with a very low chance of being realized.

I fear for the basketball season. And I fear for the football season. There is a will to make both occur, but there may not be a way to see it through.

Projections are now, and have been, all over the place.
by BIG MAC  (2020-07-10 11:01:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can think of about 5 or 6 different scenarios. I think we should hold out a bit more to see how its going, before making a final decision to cancel.

Correct, that is why is used "If" when I mentioned it. I was
by MPG  (2020-07-09 13:19:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

speculating about the possibility and its effect if it became a reality.