It will have impact
by irishrudy (2020-07-24 12:33:53)

In reply to: Good Luck to Beth  posted by BB Junky

She is as good as a scout there is in the business and she knows the players. Just because the system changes a little bit doesn't mean Beth won't make an effective scout for it.
Now talent should win out and ND has way better talent
As I stated last week, Kara has put together a really good staff with head coaching experience, recruiting, and nba connections.
Duke has a long way to go but this is a great start. ND didn't handle this change well. I won't be convinced otherwise so I am sure she will be excited to go against the irish.

I like the makeup that NI
by BB Junky  (2020-07-24 13:14:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

has put together on her staff. Ivey has experience, ND ties and and a balanced coaching staff. I like Beth and wish her well, but I don't think Duke has a better staff than ND. Ivey was the better of the 2 in scouting and recruiting in my opinion.

I think Duke will be very good quickly. It starts with the head coach and Kara is a dynamic person. I'm not sure your statement on ND not handling this well is correct. None of us know what the conversations behind closed doors took place. A new head coach has to be able to make staffing decisions. This is part of the business....

Thoughts
by irishrudy  (2020-07-24 17:15:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Coquese is a great hire and wasn't surprised by the move but I do think the balance of expertise on this staff is with point guards ( niele and CW) and Mike will now slide over to the wings or maybe Coquese does?

Beth's ability to coach wing and guard play is beyond documented. That will be a loss to the staff no matter how you speak to it. If it's CW or Mike - I would still say Beth is much more advanced in coaching that position and how she developed players as they got older.

Kara added Tia Jackson whose lineage is remarkably strong with ties to Vivian Stringer as a player and coach, and then a head coach herself. She is known in the circles as a strong recruiter.

Gandy is more of the wildcard because he comes from nba development background but also was part of what Frese and Langley did at Maryland and Langley thought enough of him to bring him to Rice.

They also kept Keturah Jackson as a special assistant so I do think it's a very good staff. I don't believe Kara is as dynamic as Niele but there is a presence about Kara that mom and dad's will like as well.

All I can say to the second part about closed doors. You're right I wasn't there but Notre Dame didn't say anything about the incredible work Beth offered to Notre Dame the last 8-9 years and being a ring of honor member on top of that- it's disappointing. And while I wasn't behind the closed doors, I do trust the people in one of the camps and what transpired.

I think it is also very cool that Brad Stevens has a really good relationship with MM and he has a good influence on Kara. Do I also think Jack put in great words for Beth to Duke. Absolutely.

I think the pandemic affected how things transpired here and
by Domerduck  (2020-07-27 12:00:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Beth landed on her feet in a good place. It's hard to judge ND on this process. As I posted when Niele made the change to Coquese that works to make this her team not Muffet's still running the show from retirement. I'm not saying she would, but we know she's staying in SB and will still have a presence at ND so if Niele had the exact same staff there'd be some question.

With out knowing any specifics, my guess ND had a place for Beth if she didn't find one. I think all these moves are good for each team. A strong Duke helps ND as long as we keep beating them which is my true hope. I also want them to beat Louisville as many times as they get a chance.