Your timeline of events is missing some key components
by rjp172 (2021-04-15 11:40:01)

In reply to: What is the message to a player your have recruited  posted by sixtythreer

2015-16 Patberg tears ACL

2016-17 Patberg gets mono. Slow recovery. Playing behind Allen. Plays in 22 games around 8 mins a game averaging 1 pt, 1 rebound, and .5 assists.

Nothing about that would make me comfortable if the program I coached to 5 of the previous 6 F4's was going to be solely in the hands of a player not fully recovered from injury or illness.

Doing the right thing for the program and bringing in a 2nd pg is what MM is supposed to do.

If Patberg didn't want to compete or play behind a pg with more experience that's on her. The Ali Patberg that has done so well at IU after another year of redshirting and working on her game wasn't what she was when at ND.

The same can be rationale can be applied to Nixon and Sniezek. Nixon had injuries and if I recall a concussion.

Missed 2 five game stretches with injuries in 2017-18. ND didn't have a back up pg. Nixon very well could/should have been the starter. Not like it would have been hard to keep her in the game over Sniezek given her scoring deficiencies.

Nixon was incredible in the NCAAT after a redshirt year at T A&M.

Boley is the one that I hate because her S16 performance against Ohio State was incredible. I thought the general consensus was that because of Turner's ACL injury in the 1st round against Purdue that it was going to be expected of Boley to play in the post and that's not what she wanted or saw her future.

My conclusion is that a coaches responsibility is to the program and that means if you're unsure about a position as important as pg and don't have a back-up you take a transfer. The players who transferred either did so for reasons not related to the roster or thought they would play behind a transfer. More power to them.

Under no circumstance do I think a coach should not take a transfer for a position in need because you don't want to upset or lose a player that you have no idea if they are going to pan out in said position.

I can't imagine a coach of an elite program telling a recruit that they'll play when they have AA or ACC career leaders in that players respective specialty ahead of them. Those coaches tell the players that they'll be given an opportunity to compete for playing time.

I will admit that I find it hard to accept that more playing time couldn't have been found for all of the players mentioned before their transfer.

Replies: